New happy owner of an Apple TV:)

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The old AppleTV you had to sync the content over to the device, then watch it. The new one you just stream the content over. It's very fast, i notice no delay when streaming from my iMac or MacBook Pro over my network.
You don't have to sync them. You have access to your itunes/iphoto library right from the screen!

how it acts as a wireless device to stream content from a computer wirelessly...eliminating the need for a DVI to HDMI cable, and an audio cable to a television.:)

- Nick
huhhh? You still need an hdmi cable/or audio cable to view/hear what's on it.
Both new and old have the same connections available on the back. The old has a bit more.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Both new and old have the same connections available on the back. The old has a bit more.

It was my understanding that you can stream content from your computer to the Apple TV wirelessly...but of course you still need cables from the Apple TV to your television.

Is this not correct?

- Nick

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It was my understanding that you can stream content from your computer to the Apple TV wirelessly...but of course you still need cables from the Apple TV to your television.

Is this not correct?

- Nick

No its correct, but you didn't need them for either version. It was only in my case that I needed an hdmi-dvi cable because my projector doesn't have an hdmi input.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You want access to: Hulu, Netflix, ABC, CBS, iTunes, Amazon Unbox, ability to watch your DVDs, HD-DVDs, B-Rs and watch any other content in whatever format you have stored locally from avi to video_ts to iso to mts, record live TV and all from a single box:

There is still no substitute for a full blown Windows based HTPC.

And we won't mention saving your purchased hard content to disk.

Edit: and of course, playing games.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No its correct,

I think that you're using bad/confusing English here...you shouldn't say "No it's correct"...you should say, "Yes, it's correct".;) "No it's correct" is a contradictory statement.;)

but you didn't need them for either version. It was only in my case that I needed an hdmi-dvi cable because my projector doesn't have an hdmi input.

I think that you're misunderstanding my question/statement. I understand that the Apple TV didn't/doesn't need cables for either version...but in your previous post:

...you said it did need cables (but you didn't explain where it needed the cables)...and that's why I mentioned that I know that the ATV doesn't need cables from a persons computer to the ATV...but that the ATV DOES need cables from the ATV to the TV.

I think that it's early...and you need to drink some coffee before posting! Ha ha.;)

- Nick

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
There is still no substitute for a full blown Windows based HTPC.

And we won't mention saving your purchased hard content to disk.

I agree. If I felt confident with purchasing something like that, I wouldn't have thought twice, but almost everything comes with mixed reviews...besides the mac-mini...which is a bit much. For 70 bucks though, I don't have room to complain though I would like to have access to hulu and other online media.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For $70, think I'd have had to get it just to check it out. I'm even sorely tempted by the $99 apple tv, but think I can hold out until the google/logitech device hits the street later this year.

Between the software and hardware, probably have $1,000 invested in my HTPC (maybe a little more) and at some point we all have to make some compromises

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
"No its correct," is one correct response to, "Is this not correct?" There are others too.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
For $70, think I'd have had to get it just to check it out. I'm even sorely tempted by the $99 apple tv, but think I can hold out until the google/logitech device hits the street later this year.

You mean WebTV 2.0? Not sure that will be much of a success it will be as its up against HTPCs that might cost a little more, but it's pretty much a rehash of the same concept, except running Android.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You want access to: Hulu, Netflix, ABC, CBS, iTunes, Amazon Unbox, ability to watch your DVDs, HD-DVDs, B-Rs and watch any other content in whatever format you have stored locally from avi to video_ts to iso to mts, record live TV and all from a single box:

Bob,

Can you explain a little further? I'm confused about the DVD, HD-DVD, and B-R part. Are you saying this content is accessed thru the Apple TV via the internet...or is it coming from a persons computer from a disk in their optical drive (then thru the Apple TV to their television)?

Thanks,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"No its correct," is one correct response to, "Is this not correct?" There are others too.

Maybe you just skip the word "No" in "No it's correct"...and just say..."It's correct".

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob,

Can you explain a little further? I'm confused about the DVD, HD-DVD, and B-R part. Are you saying this content is accessed thru the Apple TV via the internet...or is it coming from a persons computer from a disk in their optical drive (then thru the Apple TV to their television)?

Thanks,

- Nick

You have to read the next line in that post.

There is no substitute for a full blown windows based HTPC.

e.g. You want it all, you're going to have to build youself a windows box.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have to read the next line in that post.

e.g. You want it all, you're going to have to build youself a windows box.

Bob,

Ok...just so I'm clear. You're saying that the Apple TV is not capable of wirelessly receiving CD, DVD, HD-DVD video content from someones computer optical drive...and then playing it on a television?

Just want to be 100% sure...I don't want to go to the Apple Store, spend $99 bucks, get it home & set it up...and then be disappointed that it can't do it.

Thanks,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob,

Ok...just so I'm clear. You're saying that the Apple TV is not capable of wirelessly receiving CD, DVD, HD-DVD video content from someones computer optical drive...and then playing it on a television?

Just want to be 100% sure...I don't want to go to the Apple Store, spend $99 bucks, get it home & set it up...and then be disappointed that it can't do it.

Thanks,

- Nick

That would be correct. It will stream any content you have in iTunes. The way I'm reading it, any music/video content not playable from within iTunes, it's not playable on the Apple TV.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would be correct. It will stream any content you have in iTunes. The way I'm reading it, any music/video content not playable from within iTunes, it's not playable on the Apple TV.

I see...I get it now. Yes...I saw that part about the Apple TV being able to receive music/video content from iTunes (via a persons computer which I would assume means a persons itunes library)...since iTunes purchases can be done directly from the Apple TV (no personal computer required for this).

I thought that I read somewhere that if you were able to "rip" the video from a movie CD/DVD/HD-DVD...and get it into iTunes...then the Apple TV could play it (sent from a computer)...just not directly from a disk in the optical drive.:(

If I cannot wirelessly send video from a movie CD/DVD/HD-DVD directly from my computers optical drive to the Apple TV...then I think that this is the "deal-breaker" for me!:(

I guess this is what you meant earlier when you said that the Apple TV was not a "full blown Windows based HTPC".

Thanks so much for the help,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just all depends on what you're looking for this type of device to do and what areas you're willing to compromise (or just don't have the need for). $100 Apple TV vs a $600 - $1,000+ HTPC is a bunch of money. The Apple TV does a quite a bit for the price and a few of my friends would have no problem and be totally happy within it's limitations.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just all depends on what you're looking for this type of device to do and what areas you're willing to compromise (or just don't have the need for). $100 Apple TV vs a $600 - $1,000+ HTPC is a bunch of money. The Apple TV does a quite a bit for the price and a few of my friends would have no problem and be totally happy within it's limitations.

When you put it that way...I certainly agree! I didn't know that the HTPC cost that much (I really haven't been in the market for one). It was the $99 price that "opened my eyes" to the possibilities of the Apple TV...now I'm "playing catch-up" on what exactly the Apple TV can & cannot do for $99 bucks.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I thought that I read somewhere that if you were able to "rip" the video from a movie CD/DVD/HD-DVD...and get it into iTunes...then the Apple TV could play it (sent from a computer)...just not directly from a disk in the optical drive.:(

Yes, you can convert a DVD to .mp4/.m4v and then drop it into your iTunes library and view it via network streaming or syncing to the hard disk on the original ATV. You can view iMovie videos in .mp4/.m4v format as well. A decent converter like Handbrake makes it very easy. I assume the same is true with the new ATV, but I haven't seen anyone post their experiences with it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree. If I felt confident with purchasing something like that, I wouldn't have thought twice, but almost everything comes with mixed reviews...besides the mac-mini...which is a bit much. For 70 bucks though, I don't have room to complain though I would like to have access to hulu and other online media.

You got a great deal on the older Apple TV. I would get one for that price just to mess with it. It's nice for older TV that don't have HDMI but have Component video like the last of the TUBE Sony WEGA's.

Anyway great deal.

Also, great post XJ-linux. That will work for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.