Connecting Macbook Pro to Sony via Mini DisplayPort to HDMI causes video to stutter

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope anyone can help me out with this one! Been browsing the net for hours without any result so far..

I´ve connected my Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB ram (Mid2010) to my new Sony Bravia KDL-40EX700 via a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. The connection apparently works fine giving full 1080p image and sound via the HDMI cable.

However. When trying to play back any video in full screen, the playback goes slightly choppy (stutters). The audio is playing back fine. The video is not far from perfect, but the slight stuttering is very annoying! Regardless of what video I play (DVD from MAC, full 1080p files, divx) this issue occurs.

When connecting my Xbox360 or DVD/Bluray player via HDMI the picture is smooth.

So far I´ve tried the following without any results:

• run all updates for OSX
  • tried various resolutions (1080p / 1080i / 720p etc)
  • switching to the TV as main monitor i OSX display preferences
  • running TV as only monitor
  • different settings regarding the Hz
  • disabling various settings on the TV (Sony Motionflow etc)

If anyone has the same problem or can point me in the right direction that would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Cable would also be my first inclination. Make sure you're using a cable labled as 'High Speed' HDMI.

For example: this one vs this one.

For anyone else looking to purchase HDMI cables, if it does not say "High Speed" in the name, stay away at this point in time.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thank you! I´ll get a new cable today and let you know i if it works better than the one I got!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do keep us posted.

Only 'High Speed' HDMI cables support 1080p which is what most will be wanting to use connecting to their TVs. Most of the 1.3 cables "should" work. Am wondering at this point, if this may be the issue in at least some cases where folks are having problems connecting their Macs to their TVs rather than an EDID issue.

Edit: doesn't need to be a high dollar cable, just "high speed".

OP
O
Reaction score
I have now tried a (very expensive!) HDMI cable specially made for high end multimedia setups.. and guess what: no differense. The video is still stuttering when playing from my MacBook ...so now i´m back at square one trying to solve this problem.

If anyone out there has any idea what might work, please let me know!

OP
O
Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Turned out to be a function called CineMotion within the Sony Bravia (3:2 pulldown process) that was causing the stuttering in the video. For some reason this function is enabled by default.

After switching this option to Off (instead of Auto 1 or Auto 2) all video transfered to the Bravia is now running super smooth! :D

Anyone experiencing similar problems should read this article:

http://interscription.com/2008/04/07/reverse-32-pulldown-cinemotion-and-how-choppy-video-sucks/

in short: When feeding HDMI signal from Apple Mac to Sony Bravia HDTV -> CineMotion should be turned OFF

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Appreciate the report and glad you got it working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.