Gigantic temporary file

Reaction score
Had a hang while running a free space erase, now I have a gigantic temp file squatting on my HD. I've looked up how to get rid of it, but the most recent thing I found was regarding 10.4. I'm running 10.6 and the fix does not work. Help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What temp file is that? Where is it located? Depending on the location and type of file, you might need different approaches.

OP
C
Reaction score
What temp file is that? Where is it located? Depending on the location and type of file, you might need different approaches.

It's whatever temp file is created by Disk Utility when it erases free space.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Restarting the machine will clear that file.

OP
C
Reaction score
Restarting the machine will clear that file.

Well I have some more available space now, 90-something MB instead of the less than 500 KB I had before. But no, that did not solve my problem.

This is what it looks like.
8qxDN.jpg

It should not be that way. If anyone could tell me how to find the file and delete it manually that would help a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
C
Reaction score
The problem you have is not just what you stated in your OP.
What you have is a full hard drive that is going to fail shortly if you don't start clearing some major chunks of space. If you don't mind loosing all your data that's another story.
See this link to see my point:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/216254-storage-problem.html

I have a full hard drive because that temporary file is filling it up. If I delete it that will solve my problem. I need somebody who knows how to find that temporary file and remove it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Disk Inventory X
This will show you where everything is, and make it easy to locate the large file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.