G5 won't start up – has power light but no 'bong' noise??

Reaction score
The other day I left my computer on sleep for a couple of hours, when I returned it didn't come out of sleep so I held the power button down to turn it off. I restarted it but although the fans came on and the light near the power button came on it didn't do the normal 'bong' start up noise and nothing came up on the monitor.

I eventually took all the external cables out including keyboard and monitor etc and started it up on it's own and it eventually came back on as normal, I plugged everything back in and used it without any issues. Unfortunately I went to turn it on last night and I had the same problem although this time my previous success method of starting it up on it's own didn't work.

I've tried pressing the SMU reset button inside the casing but that didn't seem to work either.

Has anyone else come across this problem and is there anything else I can try before sending it off to be fixed?

Cheers

C

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's difficult to try to isolate what could be wrong. There's a possibility that the power supply is defective since it seemed to start when you removed the external loads.

You can try removing the hard drive and see if it will boot from your install DVD. Also, if you have other cards installed in the machine, remove them to see if it will boot. Don't remove the graphic card as that's needed. If none of that works, it may be time to take it on in.

Reaction score
If you get it going again... Turn Off Sleep. The older your G5 gets this is the problem it faces.
I never use sleep mode on any thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.