How to reject unwanted Mac updates?

Reaction score
Is there any way to permanently reject Mac updates that are not relevant to one's operating system? I'm referring to non-essential updates for applications that I don't own or use such as MobileMe.

Other than selecting the "not now" option, there doesen't seem to be a way to permanently reject unnecessary updates that only take up space on the hard drive and, because I have no intention of using these applications, serve no purpose whatsoever.

Unfortunately, these unwanted updates always return during future updates, and the "not now" option is a temporary solution at best.

Thanks for any tips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes, you simply uncheck the downloads you don't want. When you quit the software update, it will ask if you want to ignore those updates that you unchecked in the future. Then they will no longer show up the next time you run the software update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
With all due respect, but it is beyond me why someone decides not to keep his system ( and apps ) up to date ... A recipe for disaster !

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
If it ain't broken, why fix it? Mensch, that is one of the reasons I switched from Windows: I'm tired of updates.

Besides, schwine1 said that he doesn't use some of those applications, so why bother and why use up HDD space. I am in the same boat. I don't use Aperture, so why install a patch that will make it run better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
MobileMe is part of the OS, in this instance I would recommend running the update. Actually I recommend updating any OS feature update.

If there is a stand alone program that is requesting an update, and you don't use that program then why not just uninstall the program.
For example, Aperture. If you don't want the update, just uninstall the program (which you already don't use). It will free up much more space then just a update.

And most of the time updates remove previous codes and replaces it with the new ones. So your not (always) using up more space.

Reaction score
And most of the time updates remove previous codes and replaces it with the new ones. So your not (always) using up more space.

Thanks for this clarification.

And, yeah, I forgot to mention, I don't have Aperture installed, so I'll just skip that update. In fact there're two things that I like anent the Mac updates: 1) the updater is informative and tells you plainly and simply what's it for (not some obscure "security update to avoid your PC being compromised, yadda yadda"), and 2) you can set it to not run automatically, and update when and if you want, without it nagging you all the time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should not be "offered" updates for programs that are not installed. If Aperture is not installed, you won't be offered to update it. As for other programs that are installed, you should update them regardless of whether or not they're being used. Sometimes Apple will update an app for security reasons. And who knows if sometime in the future you may want to use that program which heretofore was not used?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
I don't get the resistance.There's nothing about running software updates that "costs" you. There's no reason not to run them. Run it when you go to bed or you otherwise know you're going to be away from your puter for 15 min.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't get the resistance.There's nothing about running software updates that "costs" you. There's no reason not to run them. Run it when you go to bed or you otherwise know you're going to be away from your puter for 15 min.

My resistance to immediately applying software updates is...sometimes the updates can be unstable or "glitchy"...and if you're an earlier adopter...sometimes you're in for some "surprises"!;)

For example...if Mac OS 10.6.5 was available tomorrow...I wouldn't immediately download it. I would wait at least a little while to see what the Macintosh communities experiences were...before updating.

Just me I guess,;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
My resistance to immediately applying software updates is...sometimes the updates can be unstable or "glitchy"...and if you're an earlier adopter...sometimes you're in for some "surprises"!;)

For example...if Mac OS 10.6.5 was available tomorrow...I wouldn't immediately download it. I would wait at least a little while to see what the Macintosh communities experiences were...before updating.

Just me I guess,;)

- Nick

I'd like to apply the same resistance, but for some reason I get excited any time there is a software update.... in hope that it will make something (even if I don't use it) run better, or add new features.
Luckily, it's never bitten me on the butt like it has others. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd like to apply the same resistance, but for some reason I get excited any time there is a software update.... in hope that it will make something (even if I don't use it) run better, or add new features.
Luckily, it's never bitten me on the butt like it has others. :D

I think that what I usually hear folks having problems with after a new software update is applied are:

- I can't print to my printer
- my favorite game or program no longer runs or runs properly
- I can't sync my iPod
- my monitor isn't working right
- my computer doesn't see xyz bluetooth device
- etc.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
True but let me take my situation as an example. Right now, SU tells me there is an update to Safari, a browser I very rarely use. I have no urgent desire to install an update that requires me to restart to update a piece of software that I never use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
yep, and the good old stuck on grey screen after reboot :)

I do keep up to date time machine backups, and clones though, hence my no fear approach :D.

Reaction score
I'm with Nick on this one. Several machines have come to the shop totally messed up (as in have to format the hdd and reinstall Windows in order to fix them, sometimes) because of automatic updates. I agree that with the Mac's closed architecture this is more difficult, but still I prefer to read the update's description and then *I* make the decision whether I want to download it or no, based on whether I really need it.

Case in point, this: "The Snow Leopard Graphics Update contains stability and performance fixes for graphics applications and games, including fixes that:
address frame rate issues occurring in Portal and Team Fortress 2 on certain Macs
resolve an issue that could cause Aperture 3 or StarCraft II to unexpectedly quit or become unresponsive"

-I don't have Aperture, nor am I likely to buy it (I use Lightroom), nor do I play games on my Mac.

Here's another one: "This update extends RAW image format compatibility to Aperture 3 and iPhoto ’09 for the following cameras:

Canon PowerShot SX1 IS
Olympus E-PL1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10
Samsung NX10
Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Sony Alpha NEX-3
Sony Alpha NEX-5"

-Again, I'm not an Aperture user, and my camera, Canon XSi, is not affected, ergo, why should I download that?

And so with other items listed in the updater, such as iTunes 10, which I don't want.

Security updates, well those are a different matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
You're far more likely to run into big problems if you put off update after update then try to "catch up". The "glitches" from minor updates are really quite rare.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Again, you are true but there is no point installing minor update after update to avoid problems I may have in the future for something I don't use. I have no intention of ensuring that I'm up on the Safari updates since I very rarely use it.

If I ran into huge problems in the future with a Safari update, so be it. I would fix it simply because I don't want broken software on my machine but I sure wouldn't panic.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For example...if Mac OS 10.6.5 was available tomorrow...I wouldn't immediately download it. I would wait at least a little while to see what the Macintosh communities experiences were...before updating. Just me I guess,;) - Nick

I would.... because before any update to the system I make a CCC clone and a Time Machine backup. Anything goes blooey, restore away! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would.... because before any update to the system I make a CCC clone and a Time Machine backup. Anything goes blooey, restore away! :)

That's a good plan!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.