How do i free up space on my mac?

Reaction score
Hey

I'm not an expert with macs or anything so I'll try to explain as best i can.

Basically i have 119.something GB and i now only have 5.something GB left. Even though I've deleted like over 1000 images/videos The space only went up a bit.

How do i permantly delete stuff form my disk drive?? Or hard drive?? Whatever you call it. Note that I've already put it in trash and clicked empty trash. But I got told that doing that doesn't actually delete the files from your Mac?

So.. please help me XD I need to download some new software and upgrade iTunes but I don't have enough space.

Thanks in advance

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you moved the files to the Trash Can, and when you chose to Empty the Trash Can, did you see a window pop-up showing you that files were being deleted? You can also click on the Trash Can and see if there is anything in the Finder window that pops up.

As long as the files are in the Trash Can, they are taking up space and you have to empty to clear it..

Regards

OP
L
Reaction score
If you moved the files to the Trash Can, and when you chose to Empty the Trash Can, did you see a window pop-up showing you that files were being deleted? You can also click on the Trash Can and see if there is anything in the Finder window that pops up.

As long as the files are in the Trash Can, they are taking up space and you have to empty to clear it..

Regards

I've already emptied the trash but i didn't do a secure empty. SO are the files still taking up space on my mac? If so how do i get rid of them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Basically i have 119.something GB and i now only have 5.something GB left. Even though I've deleted like over 1000 images/videos The space only went up a bit.

How do i permantly delete stuff form my disk drive?? Or hard drive?? Whatever you call it. Note that I've already put it in trash and clicked empty trash. But I got told that doing that doesn't actually delete the files from your Mac?

Ideas:

1. You need to remove or delete more files...that's the way to free up more hard drive space. Make sure you backup the stuff you don't want to lose.

2. You could "burn" the important files you want to remove onto a CD/DVD...then trash them (empty the trash as well).;)

3. You could transfer files from your hard drive onto an external hard drive (then delete them from the internal drive).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
sacks achfunts

Ideas:

1. You need to remove or delete more files...that's the way to free up more hard drive space. Make sure you backup the stuff you don't want to lose.

2. You could "burn" the important files you want to remove onto a CD/DVD...then trash them (empty the trash as well).;)

3. You could transfer files from your hard drive onto an external hard drive.

HTH,

- Nick

I don't want to keep any of the files I've "deleted" That's why i emptied them in the trash.. But i still don't have any more space

I don't KNOW how to delete them of my hard drive OR move them.. I don't even know where to find them.

uhhhhh This is pissing me off.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you emptied the trash, the space they were taking up on your drive is now available as free space. There is nothing else you need to do.

(Someone is confusing you with all the technical details you don't need to worry about. Yes, the files are still there until the space they were written to gets overwritten by something else. But, that space is not being counted as used space. It is now free space. The only way you can even retrieve any of those files at this point would be to purchase a data recovery software (at around $100 or more) or send the drive out to a data recovery expert at the cost of possibly a couple of thousand dollars or more.)

So, once again, all you have to do is delete and empty the trash to free up space on your drive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't KNOW how to delete them of my hard drive OR move them.. I don't even know where to find them.

To be honest...I think you need to take a "Computer Basics 101" course.;) If you don't know how to locate & delete files...that's pretty basic stuff.

If the only thing that was installed on your hard drive was the OS...then you would have somewhere around 20 gigabytes used. That's 20 gigs used out of the 119gig capacity of the hard drive...so obviously you have installed or downloaded a lot of stuff since you got the computer!

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeah I had over 2000 image files and around 500 video files and ermmm.. maybe 50 document files

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I had over 2000 image files and around 500 video files and ermmm.. maybe 50 document files

The items that you deleted so far...although it may seem like a lot of files...may not have taken up much hard drive space.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

And really that is an extremely small drive by today's standards. Considering replacing with say 500GB assuming you have a reasonably late model machine and please when you seek help, include machine and operating system details.

Remember you need at least 15% free space on the drive for it to work anywhere near its peak efficiency.

Reaction score
Do you have lots of apps installed on that HDD? Are you the only one who uses it (id est, is there more than one account on it)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The images and documents will be taking up minimal space, however the video files is another story.
Even if each video file is only 200mb (1/5 of a GB), 500 of them is 100GB, which more than likely wouldn't be far off, and would explain your full HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.