Macbook (2009), screen dims to black when moving screen/clamshell

Reaction score
Not sure if that's the right wording. But recently, my macbook screen dims to almost black when moving the screen clam shell certain degrees. I can just barely see the screen, but it's basically black. If I open/close it up another 10-20 degrees, then the screen comes back on. it happens when it's plugged in and fully charged on battery.

I'm traveling and using different voltages, so maybe it has something to do with the battery? It says it's in "good" condition with "Charge remaining (mAh):4219." Maybe I've burnt/exhausted something?

Any suggestions useful. Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

The symptom you describe sounds like it could be a loose connection - either the video cable or the connection from the inverter to the backlight. The machine will have to be disassembled in order to trouble shoot it. If you're traveling you may have to wait until you're back home and can take it in to an authorized Apple repair or Apple store and have them look at it. Is the machine still under warranty?

And, have you dropped the machine at any time or subjected it to any rough handling? I mention that because if it was dropped or damaged, Apple will not repair it under the warranty. The repair cost will be on you.

OP
S
Reaction score
No, it's no longer under warranty. I haven't dropped it although that is moot since its not under warranty.

Yes, thank you for your reply. I've researched more and that seems to be the issue. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.