Macbook A1181 Replacement Battery Not working - HELP!!!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So here is the issue that is driving me crazy! I recently was given a Macbook Model A1181 to replace my broken Macbook Pro. A big down grade, but great given my current financial situation.

The computer needed some upgrades including a new battery, which I ordered and received today (the old battery would not hold any charge and the computer needs to be connected to the adapter to work).

After installing the new battery in the computer it will not show up and will not charge. There is an X in the battery icon. When I flip the computer over and press the button to test the batteries charge the 5 green lights indicate that the battery is fully charged. I did some reading and downloaded/installed the battery updates for this model mac. I also reset the PMU and PRAM. Nothing is working!

Any insight on where to go next would be greatly appreciated. I am almost to the point of taking apart the computer and taking out the battery connector and seeing if there is anything awry there, but wanted to post and see if anyone had any further insight. Im going crazy!

Thanks,
Matt

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where did you buy the battery from? And is it a genuine Apple battery or an Apple recommended replacement? Most folks have a tendency to purchase the least expensive battery that claims it's compatible and a replacement for the original. The problem that occurs in many cases is that the battery turns out not to be compatible or works for a short time before it gives out.

It is possible that there's something wrong with the charging circuitry, but after seeing so many battery replacements that don't work for the reason I explained above, I have to wonder if the battery you bought is OK?

OP
I
Reaction score
The battery I bought is not a genuine apple replacement product. However it fits perfectly is identical to the original that I removed. It also shows the 5 green lights which leads me to believe that at the very least the battery is charged.

I may try to return it and have written the company from which i received the battery. However I checked reviews of the battery before purchasing it from other users and the seller rating of the company is very high. When making the purchase I double checked the compatibility and was confident that it was a good replacement. I may have been wrong:(

I am beginning to lose hope that there is going to be an easy fix for this, but greatly appreciate your input.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What color is the light in the Mag Safe power plug? Green? Orange? Nothing?

What does it say when you click on the battery icon in the bar?

OP
I
Reaction score
When booting the computer up and through the user login the Mag Safe power plug is orange. Immediately after logging in the Mag Safe stays orange while the battery icon in the dock has the charge symbol displaying 0%.

It stays this way for about 15 seconds at which point the battery icon in the dock changes to an X and then the Mag Light switches from orange to green. At this point when I select the battery it indicated that there are "No Batteries Available."

OP
I
Reaction score
Quick Update.... I took apart the computer and discovered the reason that the battery is not recognized is a faulty battery connector/sleep indicator.... I am looking into getting a new one and installing it, but it looks like at some point in the past there was some liquid damage and as such I am afraid there might be damage to the motherboard in this area as well.

Ill let you all know if this works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let us know. The liquid damage does not sound good - if in fact there was some in the past. I wouldn't be inclined to spend any more $ on that machine if it took a spill.

Reaction score
Same Black X

I am in the same situation. Bought a Macbook 4,1 (early 2008) on CL and a month later got the black X. Thinking about replacing the battery connector. Any luck???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.