Airport Extreme Card for MDD FireWire G4

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a PowerMac G4 MDD FireWire model with no airport card installed. I've read that I need to get the Airport Extreme card but not sure if I need anything else, such as an antenna.

Nope...the antenna is already inside the Powermac G4. It's the wire that plugs into the Airport card...and is probably "dangling" inside your computer at the moment.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
K
Reaction score
What would be the advantage of a bluetooth card? All I need is internet capabilities.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What would be the advantage of a bluetooth card? All I need is internet capabilities.

It allows you to use wireless devices like keyboards & mice.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Probably don't need bluetooth

Especially if it's an additional purchase besides the Airport Extreme card.

But I do wonder about using a DSL wireless router other than an Airport Base Station. I have a combo modem/wireless router that came with a previous DSL service. Do you think that would work with a Mac?

Also, if I use the Airport Express card, do I have to use the Airport Extreme Base Station or will the Airport Express base station work just as well?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I have a lot to learn about this stuff with Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Especially if it's an additional purchase besides the Airport Extreme card.

Also, if I use the Airport Express card, do I have to use the Airport Extreme Base Station or will the Airport Express base station work just as well?

First you really shouldn't start your post/response in the title field. As you can see in the quote above...the info that you started in the thread title field does not carryover in a quote.

As far as the Airport Express card & Airport base station...the airport express card you install into your computer will work fine with almost any wireless router.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Nick has advised on routers. Apple at the end of the day is only one brand among many and personally prefer the iConnect 625W. As for Bluetooth, believe me wireless keyboard and mouse is the way to go.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.