Replacement for GSA-S10N SuperDrive

Reaction score
Is there an alternative to the GSA-S10N SuperDrive that I could install in my 15.4" MacBook Pro? The drive in my laptop has failed and it is constantly rejecting CD/DVDs. I am asking because the GSA-S10N drive is old and either expensive or I would have to get used one. I would prefer new one though. This drive has the older ATAPI interface.

Thanks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the links.

Any idea if GWA-4080MB drive will fit my A1226 MacBook Pro 15.4"? I found this Hitachi/LG drive for $32.99 refurbished. That's a lot cheaper than buying new one for almost $200.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Stay away from cheap refurbished optical drives or hard drives unless you like changing them out over and over again. Buy a good quality replacement drive and don't be "Penny wise and Pound foolish".

OP
D
Reaction score
I do agree that good quality hardware is better than cheap refurbished one. One thing I can't justify though is spending $200 on an optical drive that proven not to be of good quality to begin with. My MacBook is about 2 years old and the drive hasn't been used that much. I do rarely burn or play CD/DVDs. I have computers here at work that are a lot older, we burn disks all the time and they are still working. Based on that I guess I will take my chances with $30 drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Just wanted to write an update. I have installed the refurbished drive bought from Geeks.com. So far it is working fine. Reads all CD/DVDs and I haven't had a single coaster yet when burning. So I took my chances with $32 refurbished drive and I am happy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.