quick dvd question

B

BrianH

im burning a backup copy of a movie, and im using yuburner. whenever i select apple iso/HFS+ as the file format i get a movie that will only play in 2 out of the 5 dvd players i have tried it in. my powerbook does not recognize it as being playable. I am using Mac the Ripper to rip them.

What should i set it on? ISO9960? or Windows ISO/Joilet? Or what?

edit:: I can get it to play using VLC and opening up the VIDEO_TS folder..

THANKS!!!

...user rep points to those who answer.... :p :p :p :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
what did you use to compress the movie, have you tried using toast to burn it? selecting an iso format won't work unless you create an iso first using disk utility.

OP
B

BrianH

the movie does not need to be compressed because it is only 3.7GB. I ripped and burned it using yuburner as an iso format (i suppose thats what you call it) and it worked perfectly on our dvd player in the den. it also worked on my gf's dvd player in her room. However, on 3 other dvd players it has not worked, and will only work if i open the VIDEO_TS folder using VLC. I do not have toast....$70....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
are you burning using dvd-r or dvd+r media? is it a foreign (PAL) movie by chance?

OP
R

Racing666

its most likely going to be that the stand alone dvd player doesnt support the disk you are using...i run into the same problem all the time, but i figured out that the most versatile media i have found is the Imation DVD - R 8X.. those things will play in anything if burned correctly..i've also found that for older standalone dvd players, the +R memorex 8x disks work best...just my 2 cents...

OP
B

BrianH

Yeah i was thinking it was media...I got handed two "ilo" DVD-R wal mart blanks to use so thats what I used. But shouldnt my powerbook detect the disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Not necessarily... I have found that DVD burning/recognition is one of the most temperamental facets of modern computing... LOL

I use Sony or Phillips DVD-Rs and they seem to work pretty consistantly... So my advice is find one that works for you and stick with it.

OP
F

falltime

sarahsboy18 said:
Not necessarily... I have found that DVD burning/recognition is one of the most temperamental facets of modern computing... LOL

I use Sony or Phillips DVD-Rs and they seem to work pretty consistantly... So my advice is find one that works for you and stick with it.

The best DVD-R media hands down are 8x Taiyo Yuden. Visit Supermediastore.com for great prices on blank optical media. That's where most of the industry professionals here in LA shop.

A friend of mine wrote up a great FAQ on Blank Media Quality @ http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm.

OP
E

elocs

falltime said:
The best DVD-R media hands down are 8x Taiyo Yuden. Visit Supermediastore.com for great prices on blank optical media. That's where most of the industry professionals here in LA shop.

A friend of mine wrote up a great FAQ on Blank Media Quality @ http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm.

I have heard this same thing over and over in the AVS Forum and I only try to use media that is made in Japan. I recently ordered 200 TY dvd-rs from Supermediastore.com for $68 and free shipping. The bottom line is do not buy cheap and undependable blank media. TYs are easy to get and are inexpensive, but not cheap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.