• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Super low audio. Help!

Reaction score
Hi! First of all... I am a newbie, so be gentle... I was thrown into the role of videographer and editor with little or no experience. That is how it rolls around here.

I was asked to video a company event. We have a Canon Vixia HF S10 camera. At the event, the AV guy comes over and tells me that I should really be using the venue's audio feed because I will not get decent audio from where I am positioned in the large banquet room. Sounds good to me, I plug in and do a quick test. Everything seems fine. I tape a 4 hour meeting. When I get back and start to play the video, I'm not getting any sound. The only thing I can figure is that the sound board got hit or there was some kind of malfunction.

I have been beating on the file in Final Cut Express and Sound Booth... there appears to be some audio, but it is super low and has a hum over it. The voices sound kind of like they would if you were trying to listen through a wall... for lack of a better explanation. The indicators at the top on Sound Booth seem to indicate voices, but I just can't grab them. Any thoughts on how I could trick out the talkers?

Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am sure someone else will chime in with some better ideas but you might try the following:

1. Select the audio and copy it into an audio editor. I use Amadeus Pro but other programs should be able to handle what you are going to do next.
2.Select the entire file and boost the gain till it reaches a useable level.
3. Play the file until you find a point where all you can hear is the hum you want to get rid of and select that segment with just the hum.
4. Most audio programs let you sample the portion of the file you just selected.
5 select the entire sound and apply the noise reduction procedure that program uses.
6. Save the file.

if the sound is OK then select the entire file and use it to replace the audio in your movie. do not do any trimming of the audio until you put it back in the movie otherwise the audio and video will be out of sync.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.