Mouse not found

Reaction score
My 2008 24" iMac keeps losing contact with the wired mouse. I've unplugged the mouse from the (wired) keyboard and plugged it directly into a USB socket at the back of the iMac and rebooted (countless times) but no improvement.

The iMac is searching for a bluetooth mouse, but can't see the wired mouse.
Any advice anyone?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This may be a stupid question but are you sure that the mouse is fully functional? It sounds like you may have a dying mouse.

As well, if your Mac is looking for a bluetooth mouse and you don't want to be bothered by that, open up the Bluetooth preferences in System Preferences and turn it off if you don't need it. Otherwise, remove the mouse that it is looking for.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for this vansmith. I can't be sure I don't have a dying mouse, but suspect I could have a s/w problem. Sometimes when I reboot the iMac it won't load the web-browser either.

I called in at the Toronto Apple store to seek advice in mid-September (contemplating the purchase of a magic-mouse as a possible solution), their advice was to take the iMac back to my home store (London UK) - possible, but a bit of a struggle on London's underground network. Hence this appeal...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Is it just your web browser of choice that doesn't work? What browser is that?

Try your mouse on another computer to see if it is a hardware problem with the mouse or whether it is an issue with the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.