• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Google TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Mac Mini
What happened here? Apple was WAY ahead of the curve with the iPod, then the iPhone and recently the iPad. But when it comes to TV, apple has completely dropped the ball. Which is completely mind-blowing considering iTunes and the app store's dominance. Apple has all the tools necessary to lead the competition into TV land, but seems content to let google run away with this one. Have you seen google TV?

Google TV

As a fresh new release, it has the underpinnings to put Apple TV and even the real Apple TV (mac mini) to shame right out of the gate: apps, PIP internet/TV, cable and satellite integration, ability to control with any enabled smartphone, integrated DVR... It really isn't a competition. Does anybody else just think its weird that Apple has put so little effort into TV? I'm still waiting on a half-way decent version of Frontrow/Lowtide with Netflix/Hulu/YouTube integration. This would make me happy, but still doesn't stand to compete with Google TV.

Does anybody else share my frustration?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
TV is not a specialty of Apple. I don't see them putting as much of their resources in Apple TV compared to their computer products, IPhone, IPod, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
Honestly, no im not disappointed. For one we do not know how much the google tv will cost. Now the google tv ends up bing 100 bucks then yes i will say i am a bit disappointed.

You buy what you think you need. I for one dont really care to update my twitter and so forth on my tv. I have a phone for that. Why would I stop what i am watching to update? I will say I do wish the appleTV had hulu, but i dont really watch hulu that often so again it wasn't a deal breaker.

There are some functions I would love to have, but the AppleTV does exactly what I need it to for the price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.