SSD with broken firmware repairable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 15" i7 HR AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP,2009 8core 2.26 MP,2010 quad MP,17" 2007MBP,macs back to 1985
sup guys,
a friend of mine just gave me his Samsung 256gb SSD after it was no longer recognized by his or any computer. It stopped being recognized after he did a firmware update. Is there a way to get it working again or does that mean that the firmware is broken, and therefore is drive is totally broken aswell?
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Call Samsung with the model and serial number. They will tell you it's warranty status. If it's out of warranty, they can still try fixing it for a fee. You will likely lose your data regardless. Have you tried putting the drive in an external enclosure and seeing if it will mount? Not booting from it, just mounting and reading from it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 15" i7 HR AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP,2009 8core 2.26 MP,2010 quad MP,17" 2007MBP,macs back to 1985
allright, ill try that. um no i havnt put it into an external enclosure but my friend did say that its not recognized by any of his computers :( i thought that that if the firmware is broken then it dosnt show up because its not communicating with the computer at all (like the firmware is essentially the brain of the drive, cant do anything without it)!!!!??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
allright, ill try that. um no i havnt put it into an external enclosure but my friend did say that its not recognized by any of his computers :( i thought that that if the firmware is broken then it dosnt show up because its not communicating with the computer at all (like the firmware is essentially the brain of the drive, cant do anything without it)!!!!??

Just a suggestion, never hurts to try. Sometimes a drive may not be in a bootable state, but still be "OK" to read and write. Were that the case, one could reinstall an OS to the external drive, then reinstall the drive in the machine, and then be back in business. I'd still call Samsung.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

If the firmware was messed up during an update, contact Samsung and see if they have a downloadable firmware recovery app. Sometimes the firmware can be re-written even if it was corrupted by an update. If it can't, then the drive would have to be returned to Samsung.

And you're correct. That drive is going to be useless without firmware - external carrier or otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very true, assuming the firmware is the actual problem. Just suggested trying the external drive enclosure option to be sure it wasn't a corrupt OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.