WD SmartWare and 1Password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
I recently purchased a WD MyBook Studio 2TB for use with my MBP. It seems like a good drive and a good fit for the MBP.

When initially installing the drive, I opted to password-protect it, given that its intended use is on a laptop. That was a very simple process using the included SmartWare. NB: The device and software are not used for backups -merely external storage.

The only problem I have now is that when my MBP sleeps or I remove the drive from the machine and reattach it, I have to go through the whole SmartWare unlock process -find the virtual cd in a Finder, open the "unlock" software, enter the password before the drive itself will mount and become available for use.

Simple! I thought... I'll just let 1Password do all the leg-work for me! Yeah, right...

I can't find a way to make it happen!!! Is there something simple I'm missing? Has anyone had a similar experience and have a solution to offer, please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My solution would be to remove the password protection on the hard drive unless you're keeping something so sensitive on there that it's an absolute necessity to protect it. Lots of folks have locked themselves out of their data by using unnecessary password protection or encryption.

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
Thanks chscag -that's the only other solution I could think of too; that's probably what I'll wind-up doing. No, there's nothing super-sensitive on the drive, more just a surfeit of caution against the "10-finger discount" members of society that so abound these days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.