details on copy window

Reaction score
hi,
i'm new to mac os,
i could'nt find a way to show more information on the copy screen the finder opens while copying files.

in Windows 7, there's an option to see more details on the files/folders being copied

if there's no native way of doing so, can anyone recommend some 3rd party util that does....

thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Finder, click on "View" at the top, then select "Show View Options". Check off the boxes (options) you wish and click on the tab at the bottom that says use as defaults.

A good free file manager utility for OS X is "muCommander". I use it all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
i could'nt find a way to show more information on the copy screen the finder opens while copying files.

Open Finder, click on "View" at the top, then select "Show View Options". Check off the boxes (options) you wish and click on the tab at the bottom that says use as defaults.

The above quote from the OP, taken literally, is not addressed by that response. But, taken as a whole, and reading between the lines, I think you nailed it. One more thing: that applies more to List View or Cover Flow than Icon or Column View.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm not so sure..... I was thinking that the OP wanted the dialogue box that comes up when copying a file to show more information, though I may be mistaken.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Neither was I sure what he was asking? There's really not much that can be configured or changed for copying. That's why I suggested the additional file info. Maybe he'll post back and let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not so sure..... I was thinking that the OP wanted the dialogue box that comes up when copying a file to show more information, though I may be mistaken.
That's what I thought too. But then, like what other info??

Then there's this:
in Windows 7, there's an option to see more details on the files/folders being copied

Explorer vs. Finder question?

Reaction score
That's what I thought too. But then, like what other info??

Then there's this:

Explorer vs. Finder question?

I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I was looking for this feature myself. I know exactly what he means. Other useful information would include:
1. Not just the name of the Destination folder, but the full path of the Volume & Folder it’s copying To and From.
2. The speed of the transfer (Read & Write in MB/s)
3. iStat Menus, a Mac app by Bjango is a 3rd Party Utility that helps with displaying the Disk Activity and many other things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I was looking for this feature myself. I know exactly what he means. Other useful information would include:
1. Not just the name of the Destination folder, but the full path of the Volume & Folder it’s copying To and From.
2. The speed of the transfer (Read & Write in MB/s)
3. iStat Menus, a Mac app by Bjango is a 3rd Party Utility that helps with displaying the Disk Activity and many other things.

Seems to me that the speed in MB/sec is about as useful as the "estimated time remaining", which is not very. That estimate is rarely accurate, especially as the number gets smaller. I just upgraded to Snow Leopard, and the last "3 minutes" took at least 10.

Are you saying that iStat menus has items 1 and 2 covered?

M

MacInWin

You don't need to pay for a third party product to get read/write speeds. Activity Monitor can show that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.