How do you...

Reaction score
Right, this might come out wrong idk yet, so here goes;
How do you look through your files like you can on windows via control panel>program files? please :)

Thanks.

*edit* Could someone give me a lot of pointers on how to use my mac properly please, I've been apple since January but I've not really been on my mac all summer and I've pretty much lost it how to get the most of out it. My brain keeps trying to relate back to windows as that's all I used (for personal use) before January <_<
It's just annoying me now because I can't seem to explore the mac properly, it's as if I'm scared to, sounds daft I know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
"How do you..."

...Write a proper title for your thread??? It's considered bad forum etiquette to do what you did with your title!

Don't you realize that almost 100% of the questions/posts on this forum could have that title...please be specific!:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would assume you mean Windows Explorer (or I think it's just called Explorer now - ??) since the Control Panel is not what allows you to look through your files in Windows.

Finder is the equivalent to Explorer in Windows and it will be the icon at the far left side of the dock in a default install of OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
"Control Panel>Program files" in Windows gives you a list of all you Applications.

In OS X all of your Applications are in the "Applications Folder".

You probably have a shortcut to that folder in your dock, and on the right side of any open Finder window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Don't you realize that almost 100% of the questions/posts on this forum could have that title...please be specific!:)
+1

In OS X all of your Applications are in the "Applications Folder".

You probably have a shortcut to that folder in your dock, and on the right side of any open Finder window.
He means the other right. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
HorizonFire, if you want to learn more about how to use your Mac you can go here: Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

They are good video tutorials created by Apple for new users or people who still don't know the basics. If you have more specific questions you can always ask them here on this forum.

Reaction score
HorizonFire, here's a tip that I love for its usefulness and convenience:

In Windows I use keyboard shortcuts all the time. So, to fire up Windows Explorer to manage my files I use Windows Key + E.

In MacOS, just click on an empty area of the desktop and press Command + Up Arrow. It'll bring a Finder window right up displaying your Home folder. You can take it from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
+1 for the video tutorials Endless Mac posted. The Apple site has a lot of great, short videos that will get you started on many of the basics as well as the iLife applications. From there you can read some text tutorials and go on to what catches your attention.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.