Can't update OSX 10.4.11 to 10.5.7

Reaction score
I want to update the OSX 10.4.11 in my 15" MacBook Pro(2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) to OSX 10.5.7. I bought the disks on eBay several months ago and am finally getting around to installing. I insert the disk into the drive, choose English as the language and then click install. Immediately, a window tells me the OSX cannot be installed on this computer. The disks are for a 15 inch MacBook Pro. One has Mac OS Install DVD printed on it and the other reads Application Install DVD. When purchased, I was under the impression these disks would work. Am I doing something wrong, did I inadvertently buy the wrong disks or just get burned?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome aboard Mac-Forums!

Describe the install disks - grey or black? The fact that they're labelled 15" MBPro doesn't necessarily mean they're for your model of MBPro.

There's likely a date and serial number on the install disks, which will give you an indication of whether or not they're compatible with your MBPro (one of the earlier models, according to your information).

OP
M
Reaction score
The disks are gray. I don't really see anything that looks like a serial number. In small print it says Mac OS version 10.5.7, Disk version 1.2, 2Z691-6504-A. They also say "part of a hardware bundle purchase-not to be sold separately". Any significance? I'm kind of new at computers. Maybe I should have done more research into what would work. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The disks are gray.

They also say "part of a hardware bundle purchase-not to be sold separately". Any significance? I'm kind of new at computers. Maybe I should have done more research into what would work. Thanks.

That's the problem! The gray disks are model specific...and the discs you bought are meant for another Mac model. There's a reason why you got those gray discs so cheap...because they won't work on your computer. That's why the "black" OS 10.5 install discs (the one you need)...cost over $100 dollars.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Disks would have to be for your exact model MBP with the exact same specs. Otherwise you will get that error.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.