Eject Sound at wake-up and start up

Reaction score
I have a mac book that I recently fumbled and dropped from a very low height, like 6 inches, and now whenever I start up my computer it sounds like it is trying to eject a disk...
Is this a problem?
If so how would i fix this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Hi, Welcome to M-F!

Is it a problem?
Not really, all the drive is doing is checking if there is a CD/DVD in the drive.

Are you sure that the sound didn't do this before the drop?
Because before apple released a update for the MBP's Firmware that stops this, mine used to do this too.

I don't know the specs of your Mac, so check your software update for a EFI Firmware update, maybe there is a update for the MB's also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
My old Macbook used to do that every time I started it up. Was never a problem, had it since 2006, now my Dad uses it and the drive is still functioning :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Every computer (unless you specifically change the boot order) will always check to see if it can boot from an external device before it boots from the default system boot. This is so that if you ever find your default system boot corrupted, you can boot from a CD, USB stick etc to fix it. The sound of your drive attempting to search for a CD is perfectly normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
My iBook does the same exact thing. Perfectly Normal.

Reaction score
My MacBook still does that to this day. It's normal. And my MacBook is a first gen that I've had for 4 years now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.