Refurbished, Y/N?

Reaction score
In reply to a question in a previous post, many of you replied that I should consider buying a Refurbished unit, thereby saving some money. This got me thinking as to why the unit was refurbished in the first place. Obviously at some point someone must have bought the item new, found something malfunctioning, and returned it (for refund or replacement). Why would I want to buy someone's reject, albeit one that has been fixed up? I would like to hear from people who have bought refurbished units. How do you know the item is current spec? Have you been satisfied with the item? Would you buy refurbished again? etc, etc.
Thanks, Kevin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Someone changed their mind and returned it.
Someone had a problem, returned it for a different one and Apple fixed whatever was wrong and is now selling it refurbished for less but it is "Like New".

And the story goes on. It's not like they are broken and useless and Apple is just trying to unload some crap they have and need to make space for newer models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I have owned a refurbished MB and currently own a refurbished MBP. Both machines were spotless and showed no problems whatsoever.
My other family members also have refurbs, and also have no problems with their machines.
If I buy a Mac again it will definitely be another refurb.

Have you read the Apple Refurb FAQ? Apple Certified Refurbished Products

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
4 refurb iMac's
3 refurb MBP's
3 refurb iPod Touch's
1 refurb Nano
1 refurb 24" Cinema Display
1 refurb AppleTV....

....I think you see where this is going. :)

I have had zero issues with any of the items I have purchased refurbished. The quality is 100% in every possible way. You get the same warranty as new and can add AppleCare.

I will buy refurbished as long as they offer it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
On my second refurb MBP 13. The previous one went to a family member. I've read somewhere, maybe on the Apple site, that refurbs are either returned units or display/floor model. I make no hesitation on refurb from Apple. Both of the refurb MPB came in pristine condition inside-out.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've got a refurb i7 27" iMac and I'm actually glad I went this route, since not only did I save a good amount of money as compared to the new iMac price, I was also confident that any and all screen issues were going to be fixed by Apple and I wouldn't have to deal with returning/exchanging it..

The iMac arrived in a nondescript white box but looks absolutely new, no scratches, marks or anything...I've been using it for nearly a year now and have had zero problems with it..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 C2D
Refurbished simply means the item was purchased then returned and has been reconditioned to be 'like-new'. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with broken, damaged, or anything of that sort.

With that said, I normally don't buy refurbished items because the savings is usually not enough to justify the shortened warranty (usually 30-60 days on refurbished items). However, I did purchase a refurb MBP just this past week because on top of the reduced price, it comes with 1 year of limited warranty and the option of extending the coverage through AppleCare. That, at least to me, is a pretty good deal.

Of course, there are plenty out there who would never buy anything that's not BNIB, and I can understand that feeling too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Refurbed Mac Pro runs magnificently, and Apple calls them 'remanufactured' and serial numbers begin with 'RM'. Also came with full 12 months warranty and option to purchase AppleCare. Was purchased direct from Apple at Elk Grove, California.

Reaction score
Most manufaturer's including Apple that sell refurbs, are not selling used equipment. Most refurbs are items that did not pass inspection the first time through. They were then put aside fixed and are now being sold as refurbs. Yes some are used but only slightly, most are never "second hand". Look on the website they are current models not old ones. I have purchased refurbs in the past and have a PRO refurbed right now. Never a problem and I would buy one again. THe main problem with refurbs is finding one you want if you are looking for specifics not upgrades available on refurbs, a guy I work with waited and looked for ever to get a refurb Macbook Pro with an antiglare screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.