using ipad abroad confusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
I'm planning on travelling to the states in a month or so and am really confused with my options of getting my ipad connected to the net. Firstly I have a uk wifi only model. For when I out and about I use my unlocked mifi device with the ipad to access the net. I was planning on purchasing a at&t gophone pay n go sim, adding the data bundle and using that in the mifi. But after some research I found that I may need a phone with the gophone sim in to activate the sim online? I assumed the sim could be activated online and that's it, the I would just have to add at&t's apn settings to the mifi and every thing would work. I'm even considering selling the ipad & mifi and buying a 3g model as it seems that's the simplest way to access the net via at&t ipad plans. But even this has me confused as some say that I will have to plug the ipad into itunes to get the latest carrier settings? I don't to take my laptop with me just to plug the ipad into. Hopefully somebody can help me or confirm what I've said is right or wrong.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.