• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DV in iMovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Hi guys, I'm trying to digitalize all family movies, so I connected my DV camera to my mac and started importing to iMovie 09. The things is I noticed that's it's eating a lot of space... what i basically want is to have all my old movies on my mac and organized by dates and events like in iMovie

should I convert from dv to mp4 or mov in order to save space? would it still be organized in my events?

thanx for the help

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Dv format is going to chew a lot of drive space. Others with more experience with this will chime in but here is my two cents. Edit the files in DV format then save the final version in something smaller like .mp4,

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
I converted all the files to mp4 and imported back to iMovie, but iMovie converts it to MOV that also takes a lot of gigs...any help plzzz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Based on this Apple discussion thread I wouldn't even use iMovie 09 (or 08) to import DV material. I haven't tried it, but this hack might be useful for the problem. Using an alternate import tool such as an older version of iMovie HD maybe a better solution.

One hour of standard definition video takes about 13GB of disk space. If you want to keep the quality at its best, you don't want to convert. Conversions do change things and since most are lossy, you lose quality. If you insist, then try H.264 in a QuickTime container. Experiment with short samples.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Using iMovie HD would help me saving space in the hard disk?
I'ven't seen any problem regarding quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Using iMovie HD would help me saving space in the hard disk?

No. Video, regardless of codec used, takes up a lot of disk space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.