G5 iMac a weird problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
My G5 iMac has started playing up recently.
The fans are making noise that is louder than a G3 iMac and they sound as if they would when using about half the processor power.
I don't think it's the same problem that everyone is talking about with the mid plane assembly (but i could be wrong).

It's almost as if the computer doesn't realise that it's not processing anything and insists on having the fans on.

I have tried repairing permissions, Mac Janitor, Tech Tool Pro and Internet Cleanup and nothing seems to work.

The weird thing is that sometimes for 5 minutes or so it will be completely silent, but then the fans start.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

B

badmojo

I have an iMac G5 and the same thing happens to me, especially when fast-scrolling through a graphic intensive website. What apps are you running when this happens?

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
badmojo said:
I have an iMac G5 and the same thing happens to me, especially when fast-scrolling through a graphic intensive website. What apps are you running when this happens?

None !!!!

B

badmojo

Fire up activity monitor (/applications/utilities). Go to the "window" menu item and check CPU usage, and Activity monitor. A/v shows you what apps are running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
well i did read an article that the G5 processers were known to create a ton of heat.. but since your using no program.. i dont see whats wrong, unless your fans are having a party!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
I'd say PARTY!

I've got an ibook and its silent like ummmm silent..... I'll compare peoples G5's I have a few friends who have G5 iMacs.

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Well I took a look in Activity Monitor and I can't see anything that would cause it to do this.

At present just running Safari & Activity Monitor.

It also says Applespell, Button Manager, iCal alarm scheduler, Finder, SystemUIServer, Dock, pbs, login window, ATSServer & WindowServer
under "My Processes"

In the lower portion of the window it says
% User 5.00
% System 3.00
% Nice 0.00
% Idle 95.00

It's all chinese to me !

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
badmojo said:
How much memory is the Window Server using? I don't have that on my iMAc.

It says 24.12 MB on Real memory & 185.35 MB on Virtual Memory

B

badmojo

I would try a Repair Permissions and a reboot. See if the problem keeps happening.

D

disillusioned

Fan speed

The only time my fan starts making a lot of noise is when it has locked up or crashed which unfortunately happens frequently. Three weeks ago I purchased an iMac G5 and I'm not a happy camper. It crashes whether I'm surfing the net or working in Photoshop. Does anyone have any ideas why it keeps crashing?
The iMac came with 10.3 and I have upgraded to 10.4.2, I've run Disk Warrior and the apple hardware test and everything seems to be okay. I've gone so far as to re-initialize the drive and re-load everything. The only software I've installed is Photoshop CS and MS Office.
I have been a Mac fan since 1987 beginning with an SE, followed by a VX, Power Computing 603 and the G4 AGP so I'm no stranger to working on a Mac.
If anyone has any ideas please post them. Thanks.

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
badmojo said:
I would try a Repair Permissions and a reboot. See if the problem keeps happening.

I have already done all of those things and run Disk Warrior and Tech Tool Pro and Cocktail and Internet Cleanup and even done a complete system install TWICE and nothing solves the problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
What screen size do you have. Mine flares up and doesn't stop at random intervals and also when: I boot from a disc, target mode it, but it will also do it in sleep, when its running nothing. I am very, very dissapointed. It was in apple's repair shop for 2 months, and they 'couldn't' find anything wrong with it. I am really pissed off now!
Thanks
Alex

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
alexmaccoll said:
What screen size do you have. Mine flares up and doesn't stop at random intervals and also when: I boot from a disc, target mode it, but it will also do it in sleep, when its running nothing. I am very, very dissapointed. It was in apple's repair shop for 2 months, and they 'couldn't' find anything wrong with it. I am really pissed off now!
Thanks
Alex

I have a 17" G5 iMac.

B

badmojo

I'm out of ideas, here. If it's still under the 1 yr warranty, get the APP. I'm getting the feeling that this iMac G5 is not one of Apple's best iMacs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Well all i can say is for the price i payed for mine, i am dissapointed with the quality, and the service given by apple. I'm not going to be childish and say 'well i'm off to buy a dell', as i would never do it, but it dissapoints me none the less!
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Did this start happening when you updated to 10.4.2 from 10.4.1 or 10.4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, it has always done it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And i've reverted back to 10.3, as i thought that might be the problem, but guess what? Same symptoms!

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
I am running 10.3.9

I might try zeroing the drive and then a new install, but that is a real pain because then I will have to install all my stuff again and redo all my settings to the way I like it etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.