MacBook Pro screen problem

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a question for you,

My girlfriends macbook pro screen has suddenly gone very strange. Its as if the brightness has been turned right up to a ridiculous proportion almost whiting out. There is ghosting around the cursor and dock, (essentially anything that moves) and very thin horizontal lines.

Has anyone get any ideas as to what the problem could be?

If it needs be I can upload some pictures to show the problem a bit more clearly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as her apple care is out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a screenshot when the screen on the MBP starts showing the strange errors. If the same thing shows up on the screenshot, it may be a graphics adapter problem. If the screenshot shows a normal picture, it may be a defect in the LCD itself. Let us know.

OP
S
Reaction score
Heres how it appears when looking at it normally.

screenghost.jpg

And then this is taken from a screenshot, which is perfect.

screenshot20101005at080.png

I take it is exactly the problem you stated? Im clueless when it comes to this sort of thing, is it a costly repair job?

Thanks for your help on this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The screenshot is OK which means that the GPU is alright and it's not a software problem. That's actually a good sign since replacing a defective GPU means a logic board swap out. Very expensive repair. $$

The LCD shows signs of "blooming" and out of focus in the photo you submitted. That indicates it's beginning to fail and probably needs to be replaced. Replacing the LCD on any Mac notebook computer is a fairly difficult task.

If you think that you can do the work yourself, go to iFixit: The free repair manual with the model number of the machine on hand and look up the cost for a replacement LCD. And while you're there, look up the step by step replacement procedure for doing the work.

My advice is unless you're absolutely certain you can do the work yourself, take it to an authorized Apple repair reseller or to an Apple store and let them do the repair. Get an estimate of the cost first and then decide.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help chscag.

I definitely dont want to attempt to fix that problem myself so I will get a quote for the repair. At least I have more of a clue what the problem actually is now so one again thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.