• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Music Video iPod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I'm not sure if this has gone around yet or people have seen it on mac rumors but...http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8614723/

All I'm wondering is will they have to make a new ipod for the video capabilities??? I would assume they would have to

S

sursuciofla

FishinFool said:
I'm not sure if this has gone around yet or people have seen it on mac rumors but...http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8614723/

All I'm wondering is will they have to make a new ipod for the video capabilities??? I would assume they would have to

Frankly, just like photo capabilities, the video capabilities are pointless for the average joe. Who really uses the photo capabilities right now just to view photos on that tiny (need a magnifying glass) screen? I do use mine to display stuff on a larger output and I would do the same to show video but it's just a waste of technology for the average person like I said. I definately wouldn't be buying music videos, that's for sure. I don't even purchase songs through itunes. Who will watch mv's on the iPod screen anyways?

B

badmojo

From a business perspective, I think it's a win-win for Apple and the record labels. I, personally, could care less about the video part but the new color screens make this possible.

OP
FishinFool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
sursuciofla said:
Frankly, just like photo capabilities, the video capabilities are pointless for the average joe. Who really uses the photo capabilities right now just to view photos on that tiny (need a magnifying glass) screen? I do use mine to display stuff on a larger output and I would do the same to show video but it's just a waste of technology for the average person like I said. I definately wouldn't be buying music videos, that's for sure. I don't even purchase songs through itunes. Who will watch mv's on the iPod screen anyways?

If apple was smart they would make it so you could put any quicktime videos from your hd to your ipod. Oh and by the way the point of the photo is not to view your pictures on your ipod (though some people might use it for this)....you use it to back up your library and/or hook it up to a tv to show slideshows with.

S

sursuciofla

FishinFool said:
If apple was smart they would make it so you could put any quicktime videos from your hd to your ipod. Oh and by the way the point of the photo is not to view your pictures on your ipod (though some people might use it for this)....you use it to back up your library and/or hook it up to a tv to show slideshows with.

Hehe, just wanted to point out that I did say that's what I use it for in the earlier post just so you know. "Larger output" part of my post. You may have missed that but it's there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black Core2Duo 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, Tiger
Maybe they're trying to keep away from charges of aiding piracy? I'm sure I read something where some chap at Apple (he he... a chapple) said that, because there was no legitimate source of movies to rival something like iTunes on the internet, there would be no point in making a video iPod. I just wish I could remember where I'd read it. I think it was in MacFormat or MacUser. I'll look it up and get back to you.

Anyway, my point is, if Apple allowed users to play any QT compatible video file on their iPod, would it not be construed in some quarters as silently giving the nod to film piracy? Admittedly, there are a whole host of reasons why this functionality would be useful, without even thinking of piracy, but you know what some people are like.

On a side note, Sony are apparently planning an iTunes-style network and app for movies...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well that's why Apple would use the iTMS to sell movies online, in effect filling the gap you mentioned.

They'll rebrand the whole thing as the iTunes Media Store and will turn the industry upside-down again :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.