Help with Linksys E1000 router

Reaction score
Just bought a Linksys E1000 router and not able to set it up. Tried going straight to the IP address 192.168.1.1 but when I type the IP address it doesn't go to the Linksys set up page. Please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Silly question, but I have to ask .....have you got the ethernet cable plugged in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Try setting your default gateway to 192.168.1.1 and your IP to 192.168.1.2 and try connect again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hmmm do you need the Router hooked into the line to be able to get to the 198.162.1.1 URL ??

I just got a new router (carrier still hasnt connected me yet) and the setup CD is Windows only and that is the Address they say to go to .......
Never been online broadband thru my home phone ever and worried that ill have trouble setting the router up as well :(

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, as long as your computer is connected to it either through Wifi or Ethernet you can get to the Routers set up page, you just wont be able to get onto the net until you are connected through your carrier. Until then you can still share files through your other computers etc through the routers LAN connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
To set it up out of the box, even if it is wireless, you need to hook up the ethernet cable before attempting to get to configuration page with the 198.162.1.1 URL.
I've never needed to use the supplied discs.
There will be a quick setup link which does it all for you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ok ....
Sorry dont want to hijack the thread (could help the OP tho :) )

Im on the net through a Wireless Dongle, no router as yet and i tried the address and it timed out. Just a little confused mate is all. I got my phone line connected last Thursday and they are connecting the ADSL2 this Wed or Thursday.
And like the OP it they say to go to that 198.162.1.1 address .... Now with more thought on it i would have to have the router hooked into the Phone line to set it up ONCE they connect my ADSL2 ?? yea lol The more i write the more confused im getting ;P
Appreciate the time Halo

Cheers

EDIT : Thanks my guitar playing mate :) I was confusing myself here lol Kudos to you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
go to that 198.162.1.1 address .... Now with more thought on it i would have to have the router hooked into the Phone line to set it up ONCE they connect my ADSL2 ??
Yep, you need to wait.
Plug into wall.
Plug in ethernet cable.
Switch on.
Wait about 30seconds.
Type in 192.168.1.1 in address bar of browser.
You're on your way my friend :)

Don't sweat it...... once you have the phone line happening and TPG or whoever you went with test the line and give you the green light, you are surfing away :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't sweat it...... once you have the phone line happening and TPG or whoever you went with test the line and give you the green light, you are surfing away :D

lol can you tell im impatient ?? lol

Yea the other day the tech got the line on n told me its ADSL2 compatible, and said the exchange is only 2 clicks away, but the stupid thing is i have to wait for iiNet to receive the OK from Telstra then make the appointment for another day to get the tech to switch it over in the exchange ...

I asked the tech to go do it now and he said he had to follow protocol to be able to switch me on .. Yep im impatient
Public Hol here today sooo hopefully tomorrow Mmmmmm will just have to wait.
I have it all hooked up and im just waiting for that Internet light to go on on the router :) Oh well

PS ill bring ringing you if i have too much trouble ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went through the same every time I moved house and had to get a new connection.
I turn the router, test it, and repeat daily until it is happening.
The waiting is painful, but when you have it, you will have a huge sigh of relief :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol can you tell im impatient ?? lol

Jump the ditch over to New Zealand, I was on the waiting list for 3 months before there was any openings in the exchange to have my house plugged in to get ADSL, until then I was given free dial up, oh goody! And for that I had to buy the USB Modem for my Macbook. Yay Me :p

OP
C
Reaction score
Silly question, but I have to ask .....have you got the ethernet cable plugged in?

yes. I have cable connection from router to modum then ethernet cable from router to computer. I get an error that says that I am not connected to the internet. Lights on the router indicates that I have internet connection as well as light on my modum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
Linksys E1000 router is a piece of (insert word of choice here).
I have one, and you have to use their stupid, stupid, stupid software on the CD to control the router.
no more 192.168.1.1, you have to use the useless CD.
oh, and you can install it on only 1 computer.
worst.
wireless router.
ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes. I have cable connection from router to modum then ethernet cable from router to computer. I get an error that says that I am not connected to the internet. Lights on the router indicates that I have internet connection as well as light on my modum.
The more I look into it, the more I'm finding that its a problematic Router.
Option 1: return it and get yourself a D-link or Airport express, etc
Option 2: get onto their tech support which you have for 90days after purchase.
I'd be going with option 1 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well mine is a Linksys WRT54GP2 ...... I dont want to here mine is (insert appropriate word here) ;P

Still waiting lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As far as Linksys routers go, the only one I have any respect for today is the WRT54GL (Linux Firmware) but it's a G router. All the newer strange looking N Linksys routers that I have either worked with or read reviews on seem very problematic. They lock up, die at a very young age in some models.

So far I am beyond impressed with the Dlink DIR-655. Been running a few months now and not one lockup, issue, problem. Great WiFi range. Many here on Mac Forums use one and have the same opinion I do after even a longer time of ownership.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.