Just joined the MAC club after years doing windows

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Yep...after years of Billy Gates...Windows...and the hassles..I've bought an Imac. Then I went big or go home and bought an Ipad.

Mostly things are great BUT... a few beefs.

Safari sucks.....even though I am trying to stay true to the basic Snow Leopard and the associated apps...some times Steve Jobs needs to get his people to think logically. I pop open a window and I want to save the image...but I am forced to use the basic folders...ones recently used. How come I cannot drop down an option and move to the folder of my choice? Dumb....dumb...dumb....

How come I cannot do safe "Private Browsing" as a default? ....dumb.....dumb...dumb

How come when I want to burn a music CD from ITunes I cannot simply open up Itunes...click/select the songs I want to write to the CD and burn my favourite tunes.

Nope....got to figure out how to make a playlist...more useless steps....almost as bad as Bill Gates....stuff.

Come on ...make it simple....work on the KISS principle. I do not need 10 different ways to do things..nor many fancy bells and whistles. I have a life outside of computers.

Make it easy and LOGICAL like Star Trek. I just want to get it done...I do not need to be impressed with all the extra ********.

Write the code to be fast ...efficient.... and very simple.

I will buy your product and stay loyal...but give up the window dressing and all the crazy add-ons and multiple steps...

GreyWolf

OP
G
Reaction score
A follow up...

Ok...I got a few things off my chest....

In fairness I do want to say the that Apple has a wonderful service organization. I think that their business principles are admirable. I believe that Steve is on the right track and does deserve a great deal of credit for what he has accomplished.

Just wish that sometimes these guys would stop laying "the enhancements" on us and work towards a simple, reliable product that is easy to use.

We all know that the net has brought so much information and options to all of us that it is overwhelming.

We need simple, logical applications that do the required process. Not convoluted applications with so many **** options that a person needs to take lessons to just learn how to wade through this.

Simplify, sell and succeed !!!

Your heard it here first from GreyWolf.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As far as your 1st Safari Beef, Saving to any folder you want or making a new folder even.....
Look at this. It's there. Click on the blue up arrow By Export as.

Picture 2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hi everybody,

Yep...after years of Billy Gates...Windows...and the hassles..I've bought an Imac. Then I went big or go home and bought an Ipad.

Mostly things are great BUT... a few beefs.

Safari sucks.....even though I am trying to stay true to the basic Snow Leopard and the associated apps...some times Steve Jobs needs to get his people to think logically. I pop open a window and I want to save the image...but I am forced to use the basic folders...ones recently used. How come I cannot drop down an option and move to the folder of my choice? Dumb....dumb...dumb....

GreyWolf

Answered by dtravis

How come I cannot do safe "Private Browsing" as a default? ....dumb.....dumb...dumb
Many of us don't want private browsing, but is this so hard?

How come when I want to burn a music CD from ITunes I cannot simply open up Itunes...click/select the songs I want to write to the CD and burn my favourite tunes.
Nope....got to figure out how to make a playlist...more useless steps....almost as bad as Bill Gates....stuff.

iTunes, file, then.... wait for it.....New playlist, new playlist from selection, etc :D
It takes me the better part of one minute to create the playlist to burn it.... but I guess in this day and age where time is money, you must be really busy earning money to pay for your new purchases ;P

Come on ...make it simple....work on the KISS principle. I do not need 10 different ways to do things..nor many fancy bells and whistles. I have a life outside of computers.
One of my favourite things about OS X is 10 different ways to do everything. This gives people the opportunity to use a method that suits them best. As for the bells and whistle, I guess I got ripped of, as I've looked all around my Macs, and in the boxes they came in, but I couldn't find any of the bells or whistles. I'll have to ring Apple and see if they can send me some!

Write the code to be fast ...efficient.... and very simple.
I believe that they did this already.

We need simple, logical applications that do the required process. Not convoluted applications with so many **** options that a person needs to take lessons to just learn how to wade through this.
This is why I switched from Windows to OS X :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ications that do the required process. Not convoluted applications with so many **** options that a person needs to take lessons to just learn how to wade through this.

It took you decades to learn the Windows-using habits you have now, it will take more than just a few develop new Mac-using habits.

You switched because you wanted something different, so don't be surprised when it is, indeed, different.

Give it time, be patient and remember to check Windows at the door, at least for a few weeks, while you get used to the "Mac way".

Also... NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks

I tried finding that on the net...and in the help without success. I guess I was searching for "change directory"..."change folder".... "look in different folders"

I never would have thought it would be under the word "Export"

I guess I need to just learn the new lingo....;)

As far as your 1st Safari Beef, Saving to any folder you want or making a new folder even.....
Look at this. It's there. Click on the blue up arrow By Export as.

C

chas_m

I tried finding that on the net...and in the help without success. I guess I was searching for "change directory"..."change folder".... "look in different folders"

I never would have thought it would be under the word "Export"

I guess I need to just learn the new lingo....;)

No, no. dtravis was not referring to the "export" field, he was referring to the blue "expansion" button next to it. That appears in any kind of save dialog.

It allows you to not only navigate to any folder you want to save stuff in, but also to create a new folder on-the-fly if you need to.

OP
G
Reaction score
Easy you say...perhaps

Answered by dtravis

Many of us don't want private browsing, but is this so hard?

Not so hard to do...every time.... Maybe I do not want private browsing...maybe I do...but must I turn it on for each session. Firefox keeps the privacy settings you set until you decide to change those. Funny that some people actually like that feature.

iTunes, file, then.... wait for it.....New playlist, new playlist from selection, etc :D
It takes me the better part of one minute to create the playlist to burn it.... but I guess in this day and age where time is money, you must be really busy earning money to pay for your new purchases ;P

Wait for it.....would it have been so simple as to be able to just click multiple songs and then pop up a menu with the alternate mouse button (usually the right button) and have a simple choice to "Write to CD" ?

Sounds easy....make a playlist...learn how to do that using the built in help...then save a playlist...I did not want a "list of songs to play"...so why call it a play list....how about a "recording list" would make more sense.

But why must i create a list? How come I cannot just "highlight/select" my song choices and "write to CD" ?

One of my favourite things about OS X is 10 different ways to do everything. This gives people the opportunity to use a method that suits them best. As for the bells and whistle, I guess I got ripped of, as I've looked all around my Macs, and in the boxes they came in, but I couldn't find any of the bells or whistles. I'll have to ring Apple and see if they can send me some!

Hmmm....quite obviously you seem to enjoy many options and many ways of getting the simple things done. Most teachers have learned that using the KISS principle "Keep it simple ..stupid...." has the best outcome while teaching.

I believe that they did this already.

This is why I switched from Windows to OS X :D

If you had taken the time to read my second post you may have noticed that I gave Apple the credit they deserved for many of the things they are doing.

Sometimes a fresh perspective from a newcomer can highlight the confusion of understanding the procedures and methods used by the O/S. May not seem confusing to somebody who has been using Mac's for awhile...but it is definitely not straight forward in some respects.

Cheers

OP
G
Reaction score
No, no. dtravis was not referring to the "export" field, he was referring to the blue "expansion" button next to it. That appears in any kind of save dialog.

It allows you to not only navigate to any folder you want to save stuff in, but also to create a new folder on-the-fly if you need to.

Thanks....

I was just confused because I would have thought that the "Where:" box would be the selection box for deciding the folder to save the file in.

Just makes sense to me...that a person chooses the "where" box to specifiy where the file gets saved. ;P

However I am grateful that you showed me how to choose the proper folder.

Thanks again. ;)

OP
G
Reaction score
It took you decades to learn the Windows-using habits you have now, it will take more than just a few develop new Mac-using habits.

You switched because you wanted something different, so don't be surprised when it is, indeed, different.

Give it time, be patient and remember to check Windows at the door, at least for a few weeks, while you get used to the "Mac way".

Also... NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Thank-you

In some respects you are correct. It will take time to learn where the options are...the type of lingo...such as the example on saving files in this post illustrate. I'm sure that eventually, just like most of you...I will be comfortably sailing along on my IMac in a few months.

I do wish to highlight that my beef was not that the IMac was a poor machine, or that Snow leopard is a poorly written O/S but rather that some of the ways things are done is not simple nor logical from an outsiders viewpoint.

Also I did not change computers and O/S systems because "I wanted something different". Actually the contrary would be closer to the truth...I wish I could achieve the MAC stability and yet use the Windows O/S that I am familiar with.

I got tired of all the windows updates...the viruses...etc....

So..yes I do like the IMac for many reasons and I will learn all the lingo, methods and tricks over time.

Thanks for offering your help. :Blushing:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Greywolf, If you have any more issues, questions, or whatever, always feel free to ask and we will do our best to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm not going to respond to your post back at me the way I did to your initial post.
I was a little 'smart alec' about it, but I saw a little bit of an attack at things that perhaps people like me appreciate about OS X even if you don't see it my way.
Greywolf, I really do like the many a ways that I can go about doing things with this OS, so much so, that after yrs of having no PC other than work requirements, I started purchasing Macs to use at home for work and leisure.
This OS is really clean in so many ways, and I hope that you give it the chance to see how much so, even if you don't just yet!
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, I have to say that I've always found the Mac OS to be very intuitive. (or "straight forward) I think there is frustration in getting used to anything that's different from what I'm used to. But, I didn't really use Windows much. My first home computer was a Mac. After I learned my way around, it all made sense, and the operations are really very logical. In time, I think even veterans of that other OS will feel the same way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Greywolf, because OS X is a totally different OS from Windows, you have to take a little more time to get used to doing things in a new way. Many things aren't even that different, you just have to be patient and keep an eye out for different things.

To be fair, MANY switchers on this site have missed the little triangle revealing a more complete Finder when trying to save something. But it is right there. One thing to keep in mind is that with OS X, you're encouraged to click on things to explore and find the best options for you. I think a lot of people in the Windows world are wary of trying out different buttons and options because they're afraid of messing something up, even though they're there to be explored. I tutor people in computer basics, and they're always real hesitant to click on anything for fear of "breaking it" or doing something wrong. But my advice whenever you get a pop up window or dialog box is to actively look for places you can click to reveal options and other menus. Once you get used to this, you'll get a lot faster at it and find what you need effortlessly.

Obviously, you now know that burning a CD in iTunes is just as easy as you wanted, just as it is in Windows.

But in general, having several ways of doing the same things is important to finding the way that's best and quickest for you. It's better than being locked into one way which might not the most efficient way for everyone.

One suggestion I have is that you go into System Preferences and customize your settings. It's really fun to tinker around with things until you get them just the way you want. You don't have to click an Apply button to see the changes, they're made on the fly.

Also, just about every application menu has a Preferences option. (The application menu is the application's name next to the Apple symbol at the top left of the menu bar.) It's always in the same place and gives you many options for making the application work the way you want it to.

Finder, for example, has ways to make things work more like Windows. For instance, many people are confused when they use the Finder in Column view (from years of using Windows Explorer IMO, since Column view is actually rather simple and easy to understand), and start complaining about it without even realizing that you can change it to List view or Icon view, more like what they're used to in Windows.

As mentioned above, it took you years to develop your Windows habits. It will take you a little while to break them, even when you find ways to make OS X work more similarly to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
As a relative newcomer to Macs myself (it'll be one year in November), I have suffered a few "why the heck do they do it this way" moments like greywolf myself.....but then my wife will just tell me to take a deep breath, exhale, and look at it from a slightly different view (she's been using Macs for years at work and she was the one that finally convinced me to buy the iMac last Nov).

I really appreciate this machine about 95% of the time, and that's a LOT higher than any PC I ever had over the past 25 years or so, for sure.

I am new to this forum but really like what I have seen so far....and the tolerance of you Mac pros with us ex-PC refugees is refreshing... I just hope I can continue to learn to use this superb machine much more to its full potential by what I can glean from this forum.

Cheers to all!

Pat

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to Mac Forums p rod. If we can help in any way, just ask!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I could sure go for a pepperoni pizza at the moment!;)

- Nick

I will send Steve Balmer over with your Pizza right away. :D Maybe he will do the Developer RAP and Microsoft Dance for you also! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Just don't forget newbies to just ask questions, we are here to help - not show off how superior we are.

We were all newbies once.

The first Mac I used was way back in 1990. A dialogue would often come up saying "To cancel this process, type command period."

Being British I looked all over the keyboard, and for the life of me could not see a key labelled period

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Ahh, where would we be without the "fresh perspective" that only a newcomer can give?
My eyes have been opened!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.