Smartdisk floppy drive on iMac problem

Reaction score
I have a Smartdisk FDUSB-TM2 that I want to use to transfer Word 98 files from an old Compaq to Word for Mac 2004 on an iMac. I load the floppy disk directly into the floppy drive on the Compaq and download the files. When I then put the floppy disk into the Smardisk drive connected to the iMac, I end up looking at an ikernel.ex_ file that says below it "Unix Executable File." Where do I go from here? I am NOT a techie.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How are you copying the files to the floppy disk? You should be copying them like so: word1.doc, word2.doc, word3.doc, etc. If that's what you've done, your iMac should have no trouble reading them. The file you quoted above is a DOS executable file. Actually, a compressed executable. You can not read those on a Mac.

And by the way, there is no such thing as Word 98 for Windows. It should be Word 97 or Word 95.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.