WPA and Airport

Reaction score
My Airport card is built in to my imac. I cannot figure out how to change the network password to a WPA type instead of WEP. If I go to Airport Utility (which is where I've seen this is to be done), the utility does not find my own Airport. Will changing to a WPA help with a TIVO wireless connecting to the network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Can your iMac See your Aiprort if you plug in directly through Ethernet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Get an Ethernet cable, plug it into both your computer and the Airport Base Station then open Airport Utility and see if the base station is listed on the left.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There is a difference between the AirPort card in your Mac and an AirPort Express/Extreme. What type of router do you have?

OP
D
Reaction score
I don't have a separate router....do I need to get one? Everything I read earlier said that the built in Airport could transmit the signal. It does transmit. I was able to get Windows 7 on a laptop to connect when I set up a network. The TIVO wireless adapter can see my network but will not connect for some reason. So I was wondering if a WPA would be more universal. I just don't know how to switch it over to WPA. What am I missing here? Again, I apologize that I don't know much about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You are running what is called an Ad Hoc network. Unfortunately you cannot run WPA using this setup. Consider buying a dedicated router - the signal will probably stronger and you can run WPA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.