Can someone confirm if I've been hacked?

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum and macs in general - please excuse my ignorance!

Last night while searching on the net, I was reading a webpage with no problems and when I clicked the home button to go to the frontpage, the page disappeared (though the safari program stayed open) and a message swirled onto my screen with a skull image and the message 'you've just been hacked by Persian Boy' and some message about a war.
Which quite frankly freaked me out.

I shut safari down and when I opened it again, it was working fine (my other programs seemed to be ok to) and since then I've been trying to find out whether my computer has been hacked (I ran a free virus scan which said the comp was clean).

I read something on the net that a website can be hacked while you're looking at them, but that doesn't mean you have been hacked.
I don't understand the difference, so can anyone give me some guidance as to whether my mac may still be safe and any hints on how I can double check it?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Should be fine. I've had some pretty funny ones over the years. I remember one time I had the typical safari pop up come on the screen and say: Something has gone wrong! Please run around the room while screaming like a little girl!!! I LOL'd at that one. But it was just the website's connection being messed with. I highly doubt anybody hacked you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As MacDude says, the web site has been hacked, not your Mac. If you are worried, go into Safari and hit the Empty Cache and the Reset buttons.

C

chas_m

Macs can't be hacked remotely without some incredibly stupid and very deliberate moves on your part, so that is not what happened. It was just a thing on a website designed to scare people.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.