Remote app and iTunes

Reaction score
Disgruntled Remote user.
Ever since they upgraded (or degraded as far as I am concerned) the OS for the iTouch/iPhone, the remote app simply does not work as it once did. The network signal constantly drops out. If the remote actually finds the iTunes library, the controls work intermittently.

My cynical self says that I suppose it works on the latest iTouch/phone devices. So are we now supposed to ditch our less than 1 year old devices and buy the new ones?

COME ON APPLE. BY ALL MEANS MOVE FORWARD, BUT TEST THE STUFF BEFORE YOU LET IT LOOSE, OR ARE WE YOUR TEST SITE?

And all this on top of the well documented fact that the battery discharge is now so ridiculously fast, I am now charging my iTouch daily instead of every 3/4 days.

As you might be able to tell, I am not happy. This app and it's sync with iTunes, was a brilliant way of streaming music around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I am in the same boat. Downloaded it the other day and now i cant even connect to my iTunes library :(
Keeps on saying check you settings and all that crap. Have been scouring the net for a solution, to no avail so if you do find a solution, please pass it on. I hate this now ...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
edit: deleted - cause I was so far off base on this one as to not even be funny

what can I say - it happens

OP
N
Reaction score
First off - TattooedMac.
I only recently discovered (yesterday) that to associate your iTouch/phone remote app with iTunes, you now have to activate something called "home share", both on your iTunes and the remote device.
I assume this replaces the code which used to be used.
Doesn't solve the problem though!

Second - Mr Moderator
I do not expect any computer manufacturer to test all possible apps.
But with the Remote app, it is "pushed" by Apple (if not written by them). i.e. they have a web page devoted to the app and possible fixes for problems (not this one mind) via their support web pages. Also, using this app helps to sell their airport devices, which I have invested in and enjoyed - until now that is.

Thanks all for your interest. Hope this gets fixed somehow.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OK, I take it all back... :Lips-Are-Sealed: As you can see, I do on an extremely rare occasion ;) get it wrong...

Must be the senility catching up to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Must be the senility catching up to me.

LOL.

I've upgraded and everything works like always...like a charm. Didn't have to switch any setting options or anything. The only thing I had to do was re-sync the iphone remote to the computer's itunes with the 4-digit code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
First off - TattooedMac.
I only recently discovered (yesterday) that to associate your iTouch/phone remote app with iTunes, you now have to activate something called "home share", both on your iTunes and the remote device.
I assume this replaces the code which used to be used.
Doesn't solve the problem though!

Yea well same here. No matter what i have done i cant connect.
If i go the home sharing way, it brings up a Error Msg on iPod Touch saying cant connect to home sharing try again later.

If i enable home share on my Mac, then the Airport icon in Task bar ^^ disappears and my Airport Express network is no longer visible :(
LOL.

I've upgraded and everything works like always...like a charm. Didn't have to switch any setting options or anything. The only thing I had to do was re-sync the iphone remote to the computer's itunes with the 4-digit code.

I have only ever ONCE had to put in a 4 digit code to connect ??
Dont know what your on about ??

Now i am confused.
I don't understand how you can sync with the 4 digit code.
See this link:About Remote app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

It's dated the 2nd October 2010. How much more recent can you get?

Has anyone any idea what is going on?

Well that is recent BUT it still hasnt done anything for me ....

This is getting sooooooooo frustrating now as i cant use the Airport Express i have payed $148 AUD :(:'(:Not-Amused::Not-Amused:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Downloaded it on both my iPad and 3GS this afternoon. Both devices sit there and just say "Connecting to Library bobtomay's Library" forever and do nothing else.

That's with my MBP, have not woken up my Win7 machine to try it with that one.

I've been using Homesharing between my MBP and Win7 machine since it came out with no issues related to the functionality. Do have some issue with with Audible content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob ......

My situation is i got AE hooked it up did everything to set it up and viola i could stream my iTunes music through AE via Airfoil .....
I open up my Remote App in iPod Touch and it connects to my library ..... It takes all control away from iTunes which is fine but it worked .....

Now i dl remote App Update 1 week ago and yesterday finally decided to use it after see this OP ...

Now i cant connect my Remote App, to my wireless network thru AE ... It does what your says Hangs forever and does nothing else ...

Now if i try to connect thru home sharing, my Airport Icon turns to the Icon with the Upwards arrow in it, and when i click it my wireless network thru AE isnt there.
When i try to connect my Remote App thru home sharing, putting in my  Id and password it comes up with the msg " Cannot connect to home sharing at this time, Plase try again later "

Later comes and goes, comes and goes and still cnt connect.
I have tried every senario from the link the OP supplied and still no joy ..... It is frustrating.
I just cant understand why im Home Sharing my Remote App when i have set up a wireless network with my speakers connected to AE, when before the update it worked, and now they want it home sharing ??

Where in Home Sharing is my AE connected ??
How is home sharing getting to my AE with speakers, when my AE is setup as my wireless network ??
If you can understand what im trying to get at ?? Confused ??? yep so am i lol but in all honesty im laughing bc im so frustrated and if i dont laugh ill cry

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You do have Homesharing turned on in iTunes?

Just woke up my Win7 machine to try it.

The iPad won't even recognize that it's available and still never connects to my MBP.

On the iPhone, it also only finds the MBP Homeshare and not the Win7 one. Plus, now when I open the Remote app, after about 30 seconds it disconnects from my network and asks me to put in the password again. Go back and put in the password, can browse the web and everything fine. Opening the Remote app again, it disconnects from the network again and forgets the password again??? The same network it's been using for almost 2 years without ever having to put the password in a 2nd time. And that's a pitr when you've got a random 30 character password.

OP
N
Reaction score
Anyone got any contacts at Apple?
To me this is a huge mess up either caused by Apple's implementation of the functionality, or by their inability to explain to their customers how this should be set up. We can't all be that thick!
Do they monitor this site - do they care?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Has anyone found a fix for this as yet ???
EVERY day im looking for a update BUT out there seems like not everyone is having this problem .....

ANY ideas anyone....... I so want this to work as im going to purchase ATV and want this to work with it via my iPod Touch ...
Yes i have Apple remote but i have the App so why isnt it working ?? :( Grrrr

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just gave it another shot here on my iPad.

Started with my Win7 HTPC - it popped right up and took maybe 5 seconds to begin populating with full control.

Then woke up the MBP - Remote immediately saw that library also - but still just sits there spinning saying "Connecting" and does nothing else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then woke up the MBP - Remote immediately saw that library also - but still just sits there spinning saying "Connecting" and does nothing else.

Mmmmmm this just isnt cricket bob ....... Im really hoping for a update, but then again there doesnt seem to be a world wide problem that i can find. Everyone ive read about LOVES the new remote App :(

Will do some more digging around and see what i can find over the next week....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same thing on my iPhone, Win7 machine connects but not my Mac.

So, started looking around in iTunes settings... found the problem, at least on mine.

iTunes - Preferences - Devices - you have to have a check mark in "Look for iPod touch, iPhone and iPad remotes".

I checked that off and both my iPhone and iPad right away connected.

(Note: The iPad did come back with a message "This remote has been unregistered...". Just selected it a 2nd time and it popped right up.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok bob thanks for looking ....

Me im having the "home sharing is currently unavailable" on my i Pod ... I have home sharing on in iTunes is there anywhere else i should be looking ?? ive looked around and ill be darned if i can find whats happening...

Google is useless too

Any suggestions will be greatful for

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOOHOOOOO

Dont really know what i did but im back to having my remote :)
Started to play around and had everything checked, home sharing and all that crap, then decided to get on the net with the Touch. Went into Sys Pref and selected internet sharing played around for a while then went straight back to my network, pressed the Remote and viola it found the library and i can now use it again :)

Happy as larry i am lol

Thanks for following bob

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I have the remote App on my iPhone 4 and iPad and it works fine. I have notice a bit of a latency but only occasionally. They work great with the AppleTV as well. Maybe I got lucky? IDK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the remote App on my iPhone 4 and iPad and it works fine. I have notice a bit of a latency but only occasionally. They work great with the AppleTV as well. Maybe I got lucky? IDK

Thats great news Tom. Im going to buy myself the new ATV this coming weekend and will hopefully be as easy to set up and use as you and idrinor have said.

Look forward to that palmed sized beauty :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.