How to change permission OS X 10.6.4

AOH

Reaction score
I have a lot of re-writable disks and DVD’s, but, even if I’m the only user of this MacBook, I cannot change from read-only to write ! The disks stay read-only, so I cannot erase them and use them again !!
What to do ? I use OSX 10.6.4 (Snow leopard)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're referring to DVD RW and CD RW media, how are you trying to erase them? And which program are you using to erase them?

OP
A

AOH

Reaction score
Rewritable disks RW

I activated the disk I want to erase. Than I go to "get info", than to sharing & permission. There is the message:"you can only read". The possibilities for changing can't be activated (stay gray!!)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Permissions for DVD RW or CD RW media are read only. That's normal.

If you want to erase the disk, use software such as "Burn".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The disk was probably written to and then had the session closed instead of being left open. You can erase the disk volumes with disk utility in many cases.

OP
A

AOH

Reaction score
The problem is that disk utility doesn't work! In the passed I never had this problem. I suppose it has something to do with the upgrading of the system to OS X 10.6.4!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you download the free "Burn" application and try it?

OP
A

AOH

Reaction score
I tried "burn", but the program "erase rewritable disk" was not available. It stays "gray"

Reaction score
when you "get info" there should be a panel at the bottom with the various permissions, if this is grayed out there should be a lock icon below it. if you click on it you will be prompted for you password, and once you have entered it should be able to change the permissions.

also if you think it is because you only have one account on your mac try creating another temporarily, and see if that solves the problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
when you "get info" there should be a panel at the bottom with the various permissions, if this is grayed out there should be a lock icon below it. if you click on it you will be prompted for you password, and once you have entered it should be able to change the permissions.

also if you think it is because you only have one account on your mac try creating another temporarily, and see if that solves the problem

+1 good advice ....... See if this works and post back

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried "burn", but the program "erase rewritable disk" was not available. It stays "gray"

That leads me to believe that the disks are not re-writeable. You can not erase a DVDR or a CDR disk.

OP
A

AOH

Reaction score
All disks DVD and CD are of the RW, rewritable type. I also tried different brands, but all refuse to be erased!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have access to a PC or a friend who owns a PC? If you do, see if you can erase the disks using a PC program such as Nero or Ashampoo. Doesn't matter if the disks were recorded on a Mac, they can be erased from a PC. I do it all the time.

OP
A

AOH

Reaction score
Your tip for the PC worked out very well on my Dell Inspiron laptop! No problems with rewriting on my MacBook. The erasing with the PC goes much faster than before on the Mac. Thank you very much.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A little late getting back to you.....

Glad it worked out for you. To be honest, when I have a lot of burning to do or rewriting to disks (multi-burn) I always switch to Windows 7 (dual boot). It's not only faster, but Windows burn software seems to be more efficient at doing both.

Thanks for posting back. And by the way, I use the free Ashampoo Burning Studio. Very nice freeware.

OP
A

AOH

Reaction score
Dear chscag.
It was a golden tip: erasing on a PC. Ihave a Dell inspiron laptop and have erased all former used RW disks. Some of them I have -without any problem- rewrote on my MacBook. Thank you very much!! Erasing with the PC saves also a lot of time.

OP
A

AOH

Reaction score
permssion to write

I would like to thank chscag for his advice to use a PC for erasing disks.
It was very succesfull! On my Dell laptop, I could easily -and quick- erase the disks. I could rewrite the disks without any problem on my Macbook. Thank you again and have a nice weekend.
AOH:Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.