Wrong time stamp in downloaded attachments

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
When I download a file from, say, Thunderbird to a local folder on my Mac Pro or MacBook, and then use Finder to examine the time and date of creation and modification, Finder shows the time and date that I downloaded the file (usually the current time and date if I look at it immediately) and not the actual time and date the file was created. This is a different behavior from Windows Explorer on a PC, where the original creation date is carried along with the downloaded file.

Having a correct time stamp is very important to me, especially for comparing different versions of a given document. Is there a way to capture the correct file creation date?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which files are you referring to? Give an example so I can test it because my Finder acts exactly the same way as the Windows file explorer. That is it will show the modified date and the original creation date.

I just tested this with a download from a site I'm familiar with: The alias file has the same date, however, the application file shows two dates in Finder. The first is the date the file was downloaded, the second shows the original file creation date. (Just like the Windows Explorer would.)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open up Finder - head to View on the Menu Bar and select Show View Options - make sure you have 'Date Created' checked there. I think the default is for this to not be checked.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good one, I forgot all about the view preferences. Hope the OP sees your reply.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
I went to Show View Options as suggested and checked both Date Modified and Date Created, but the first file I downloaded via Thunderbird still has the timestamp of one minute ago in both the date modified and date created fields. I'm sorry, but I don't know how to attach the file to this Reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.