Firefox Troubles on Macbook

Reaction score
Sorry if this isn't the proper section guys but i am seeking some advice.

I was recently trying to stream some video and it required a toolbar installation from "vshare" and I have since run into some trouble with my Firefox browser.

Normally if i wish to go to a page such as Facebook or any other popular site I will simply type "face" or "google" into my address bar and its own search function will determine where i wish to go and direct me to that page rather than a search engine which displays results for what i had typed into the address bar.

Now since I installed this vshare toolbar anything i type into the address bar automatically brings up the results from a search using a vshare search engine, rather than direct me to the page i wish to visit. I have removed the toolbar and there is no reference to it in any of my internet settings or anywhere else on my laptop, but it still remains to be the main search engine when I type something into my address bar.

I have no idea how to make it stop doing this and return back to its original state, I have even re-installed Firefox but to no avail. If anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Tools/add-ons/plugins/ Then select the "vshare plugin" and disable.

OP
H
Reaction score
slishon dependence

Sorry i should also mention that it has been removed/disabled from the plug-in list yet it still persists. Honestly there is no mention of it anywhere within Firefox, yet it is still being used as my default search engine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I have to say that's really weird. You do still see the google search bar in the top right corner right? If so, Google should still be the plugged in search engine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
Have you tried going into the Safari menu and selecting Empty Cache?

I had a sort of similar issue yesterday and that worked the trick for me!

Reaction score
Vshare problem solved

Hi, I’ve just had the same problem that you are having, but I’ve just found the solution. The reason you are still having this problem is because the plugin changed the configuration settings in firefox. This means that even though you have uninstalled the plugin the settings are still in place. To correct this you will have to type “about:config” into the address bar, Press enter and you will receive a warning message from firefox saying something like ”here be dragons be careful if you are unsure” ect. But if you want to fix the problem you will just have to trust me. ;)

Now at the top is a filter, so type “vshare” into this and you will find all the things in your settings with this particular word.

Now to change the settings. Please change the following.

vshare.install.istoolbarhp;true change to false

vshare.install.istoolbarsearch;true change to false

and this one is the important one your keyword.URL ie your addressbar configuration will have been changed to vshares own search engine, to change it back simply go to this website and get the url from there

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyword.URL

i tried to type it myself but it only submits as a shortened link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.