• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

advantages of the walled garden

Reaction score
What are some advantages of apple's super proprietary approach? After having tried linux a number of times, I'm really seeing the benefits of tight control. Here are the advantages that come to mind

-quality control
-fluid user experience
-software and hardware work better together

The big thing for me is accessibility. Apple has done a great job making all their products, sadly except the apple tv, accessible to disabled users out of the box after years of being one of the most inaccessible OSs out there.

Don't get me wrong. this tight control has drawbacks. I can't use a browser other then safari, but what else is new? I can't use chrome or opera on windows either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
For one this just brings about the iOS vs Android wars which have been argued to death here on these forums. And there's no point flogging that horse as it's already dead. But . . .

Yes but there's a point I want to make. There is no truly open mobile OS. iOS as we know is a walled garden. Google make Android open but then the carriers add in all their restrictions and even their own app stores so in the end the android is full of carrier walls. So your choice is Apple walls on iOS or carrier walls on Android.

And if it was me I'd rather take Apple's walls any day of the week.

And on a new note the new Apple TV does not suck. You're just not the audience Apple is targeting with it. You want something that is Apple crap? Look at Ping. I think ping is a load of garbage. I reckon it could be fixed but as it is now, it's garbage.

So to directly reply to your post. Just pick the walls you like the best. As there is no open mobile OS out there. And if you want one you'll have to make it yourself. And pay the mobile carriers enough money so they don't go and put their own walls up.

OP
E
Reaction score
hey, I like the apple tv, I even bought one of the new ones, but if you want spoken menus then you have to get the remote app, which I have, but others may not have an ios device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Its worked in my favor over the years so no complaints here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
hey, I like the apple tv, I even bought one of the new ones, but if you want spoken menus then you have to get the remote app, which I have, but others may not have an ios device.

That comment and the previous one you made don't really make much sense other than to convey that you don't like ATV. Care to explain more?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The advantage of the walled garden of the current crop of devices is that it will condition us to accept more and more control of our computing environments by a corporation or maybe a super responsive and efficient government or NGO in the future. No more pesky software to compare or seek out or browse. The company has experts who will know better than you what is needed by the majority of people. Why would you need something other than that anyway? Besides, the average cosumer is alternately too ignorant, stupid or lazy to make an educated decision about software standards or to secure their device from virus or malware threats. Not a biggie though as these walled garden devices are just our phones, and who wants a sickly bloatware soaked phone.
Well, just phones and music boxes.
OK... phones, music boxes and tablets, but that's it... except for TVs...
Yep, just phones, music boxes, tablets and TVs, and maybe laptops and desktops. But only after we make inroads into the automotive market...
Say, did we mention how all the data overhead you have can be passed off to our super secret secure cloud? You don't even need a computer to access it, and your little devices can't store and/or serve all that data anyhow. All that's required is one of these devices, a streaming broadband connection, and a contract of course. Computers are for dinosaurs anyhow.

OK, enough sarcasm. I need to go practice my Newspeak. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Flame War erupting!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The advantage of the walled garden of the current crop of devices is that it will condition us to accept more and more control of our computing environments by a corporation or maybe a super responsive and efficient government or NGO in the future. No more pesky software to compare or seek out or browse. The company has experts who will know better than you what is needed by the majority of people. Why would you need something other than that anyway? Besides, the average cosumer is alternately too ignorant, stupid or lazy to make an educated decision about software standards or to secure their device from virus or malware threats. Not a biggie though as these walled garden devices are just our phones, and who wants a sickly bloatware soaked phone.
Well, just phones and music boxes.
OK... phones, music boxes and tablets, but that's it... except for TVs...
Yep, just phones, music boxes, tablets and TVs, and maybe laptops and desktops. But only after we make inroads into the automotive market...
Say, did we mention how all the data overhead you have can be passed off to our super secret secure cloud? You don't even need a computer to access it, and your little devices can't store and/or serve all that data anyhow. All that's required is one of these devices, a streaming broadband connection, and a contract of course. Computers are for dinosaurs anyhow.

OK, enough sarcasm. I need to go practice my Newspeak. ;)

While I think that potential does exist I don't see it ever reaching that level. There will likely always be an open or free alternative to the "walled garden" concept despite it prevalence for outside intrusion or other nasty things. In the end, you only end up in the cage you choose to live with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know, it was meant more towards the tongue and cheek. Or was it? LOL ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
Don't get me wrong. this tight control has drawbacks. I can't use a browser other then safari, but what else is new? I can't use chrome or opera on windows either.

what? Currently using chrome here, but I can jump over to opera, or safari, or IE at anytime I want.
can you seriously only use safari on the mac?

edit: and the usability of Linux stretches as far as the user wants it to. Want a tiny os? linux mini which is like, 150mb is your choice.
also, I have about 15 electronic devices around me, 1 of them is a computer. I could install a linux distro on every single device.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

what? Currently using chrome here, but I can jump over to opera, or safari, or IE at anytime I want.
can you seriously only use safari on the mac?

edit: and the usability of Linux stretches as far as the user wants it to. Want a tiny os? linux mini which is like, 150mb is your choice.
also, I have about 15 electronic devices around me, 1 of them is a computer. I could install a linux distro on every single device.

That makes no sense. If you are talking OSX you can run Opera, Chrome, Firefox and a few other lesser known browsers like Camino for one.

On Window BESIDES IE, you can install Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari and the list goes on.

To the OP, are you talking about a Mac with OSX or an iPad/iPhone with iOS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not if you use voiceover. It only works with safari

Thanks for the clarification. You are apparently referring to Apple's "Universal Access" options? I can imagine many of those integration features are proprietary to Apple and work only with Apple software products. I can see how that would be a bummer.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Not if you use voiceover. It only works with safari
That's the fault of the application developer, not Apple. The main reason I assume that's the case is that each of the other major browsers (Chrome, Opera and Firefox) are all platform independent and can't be tied down to one platform specific accessibility api (such as Apple's).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just an Heads Up. If you read the OP's other posts, you might find out he is blind. That is why I have not replied back to his Safari comment. He is Blind and relies on Voiceover.

OP if I am wrong, let me know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.