Macbook Crashing???

Reaction score
Hi, apologies for the long message but I'm seriously worried about my macbook.

About nine months ago, the hard drive on my macbook failed (the application folder with a question mark appearing when trying to boot up). Apple gave me a new hard drive and everything was fine until now.

The other day all programmes crashed and none would open (bar Firefox), and none would open. Even Finder and the Force Quit pop up crashed. I was worried to try a rebook, so I called Apple and a technician said it was probably a hard drive failure. But luckily it rebooted fine. Now, today, Software Update automatically opened and suddenly crashed, as did Trash, and finally the whole screen crashed when opening Time Machine. I rebooted and everything loaded again fine, but I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what the probable cause is to all these crashes and what I should do about it.

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Apple technician you spoke with is probably right. It sounds like the hard drive is failing. Make a backup as soon as you can and have the drive checked and replaced. (assuming you're still under warranty)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.