Mac Mini external monitor resolution problems

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd been tolerating a relatively low resolution using my (2006) Mac Mini and a second hand 19" monitor for a while, and I decided it was time to upgrade. I bought a 22" LG Flatron W2243S which is capable of displaying 1920x1080.

From all the documentation on the Apple website, I can see no reason why my Mac Mini would not be able to display this. But this option is not available in Preferences. It goes higher - to 1920x2-thousand-and-something (I forget) but this is very stretched.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I tried using SwitchResX, after reading various forum posts about similar issues (YES I did Google it) but that has resulted in a permanent 'out of range' message on startup, which starting in Safe Mode hasn't yet managed to fix, so I may have to reinstall Snow Leopard... but that's another story.

Also I messaged LG, who provided the unhelpful response that they don't have any Mac drivers that would help, sorry.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Amy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi all,

I'd been tolerating a relatively low resolution using my (2006) Mac Mini and a second hand 19" monitor for a while, and I decided it was time to upgrade. I bought a 22" LG Flatron W2243S which is capable of displaying 1920x1080.

From all the documentation on the Apple website, I can see no reason why my Mac Mini would not be able to display this. But this option is not available in Preferences. It goes higher - to 1920x2-thousand-and-something (I forget) but this is very stretched.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I tried using SwitchResX, after reading various forum posts about similar issues (YES I did Google it) but that has resulted in a permanent 'out of range' message on startup, which starting in Safe Mode hasn't yet managed to fix, so I may have to reinstall Snow Leopard... but that's another story.

Also I messaged LG, who provided the unhelpful response that they don't have any Mac drivers that would help, sorry.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Amy

Most monitors with Apple computers are pretty much "plug & play" so you really shouldn't need any special software or drivers. As far as the resolution...all Mac Mini's beginning with the very first G4 1.25ghz model in 2005 is capable of displaying 1920 x 1200...so your Mini shouldn't have any trouble displaying 1920 x 1080.

If you've tried using your Mac-mini's "display" system preference control panel to set the resolution (and that hasn't worked)...have you explored the onscreen settings for the LG monitor. Maybe something there is set improperly.

Also...just out of curiosity...how is your LG monitor connected to the Mac-mini (VGA, DVI, HDMI)...are you using any sort of adapters?

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Most monitors with Apple computers are pretty much "plug & play" so you really shouldn't need any special software or drivers. As far as the resolution...all Mac Mini's beginning with the very first G4 1.25ghz model in 2005 is capable of displaying 1920 x 1200...so your Mini shouldn't have any trouble displaying 1920 x 1080.

If you've tried using your Mac-mini's "display" system preference control panel to set the resolution (and that hasn't worked)...have you explored the onscreen settings for the LG monitor. Maybe something there is set improperly.

Also...just out of curiosity...how os your LG monitor connected to the Mac-mini (VGA, DVI, HDMI)...are you using any sort of adapters?

Good luck,

- Nick

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Sorry yes I should have included that. It has a DVI port with a VGA adapter.

That's what makes it so frustrating; I read everywhere that it should 'just work', but the option of 1920x1080 just isn't on the list in Preferences > Display. I'll have a play with the monitor's settings once I've figured out how to sort this SwitchResX problem out. It works just fine with lower/stretched resolutions though.

Thanks again for responding,

Amy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for replying so quickly.

Sorry yes I should have included that. It has a DVI port with a VGA adapter.
Since your Mac-mini has DVI...can I assume that this LG monitor also has DVI?

- Nick

Edit: Doing a quick internet search with the model number W2243S...I found that this monitor seems to only have a VGA port...and the monitor is supposed to be able to display 1920 x 1080.

OP
R
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong...but I have a funny feeling that it's the "VGA" link in the chain that might be causing the problems.

Since your Mac-mini has DVI...can I assume that this new 22"LG monitor also has DVI?

- Nick

The 19" monitor wasn't the problem - that one wasn't physically capable of anything higher than 1440x900.

It's the new 22" LG one I bought that isn't working. It doesn't have a DVI port, but I believe there is a model which does, so I may see how much more it is and if Comet will let me switch them.

It occurs to me now that I was using a KVM switch and didn't try it without that, so my next step is to try it without! (Which is a pain, as I have that for a reason, sigh..). I can't do this til tomorrow, as the monitor is in my office. It's only a few minutes walk away, but I'm warm now... I'll get back to you tomorrow, if you're still interested in my progress :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 19" monitor wasn't the problem - that one wasn't physically capable of anything higher than 1440x900.

Yes I edited my post when I realized I was talking about your old 19" monitor when I should have been talking about the new 22" monitor.

It occurs to me now that I was using a KVM switch and didn't try it without that, so my next step is to try it without!

That's a great idea!:) Like I mentioned...usually Mac's & monitors are plug & play...so that KVM switch may be the "trouble-maker"!;)

... I'll get back to you tomorrow, if you're still interested in my progress :)
I'm always interested...that's how I learn as well!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.