iMac not recognizing start-up disk

Reaction score
Time Machine froze my computer two days ago, and when I tried to restart, I got the lovely folder with a question mark. I reset the PRAM (Apple Support told me to wait four chimes), and everything was fine.

Today, the same thing happened. I was able to get my Mac up and running to try and repair the disk through Disk Utility, but it wouldn't repair, so I tried to run Disk Utility and repair the hard drive through the install CD. I got an error saying "invalid sibling link", and now I'm unable to get my computer to boot up at all without the install CD, and even when I do get the install CD to work, my hard drive isn't recognized.

I've tried resetting the PRAM, but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions? I have everything backed up (thank God), so even if there is some way to just reinstall the entire system from the install CD, that'd be fine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's a LINK with instructions on how to fix that error. However, if you're not comfortable with using Terminal you may be better off doing a reinstall and then restoring from Time Machine.

Also, it's possible that your hard drive is failing or getting ready to fail. It's a good idea to make sure your backups are up to date. You didn't mention if your iMac is still under warranty or not. If it is, it might be a good idea to let Apple handle this problem for you. Changing out a hard drive in an iMac is a fairly difficult task.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.