MobileMe Family Pack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2.4Ghz, 250HDD, 4Gb RAM, o/s 10.6.4 -:- iPod Touch, 32Gb, O/S 4.0.2 (used mostly as a PDA)
I'm a recent Mac switcher & currently on the 60-day trial with single user MMe ... I like what I see.

For many years I've used a pay-for web based business email service (fastmail.fm) where I had approx 5 separate email aliases, all for different purposes (e.g. family & friends, business, public forums etc). Whilst all emails to any of these aliases came to my fastmail account they were placed in separate folders (in effect separate inboxes) and in turn I could email out from each of these as if it were a separate email account.

If I signed up for the family pack MMe account presumably I will have separate account/inboxes at the MMe web site for each email account I create and I will only be able to access these individually using the appropriate name & password on the MMe site?

However, I presume I would be able to set these accounts up in Mail on my MBPro so that I could collect & respond to the mail from all accounts that way. If I could then would I be able to set up Mail on my MBPro to make it seem as if any mail sent/replied from these accounts looked as if it was coming from the appropriate email account name ...... or would they all just be seen to come from my main email account name?

Dave B.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I currently use 3 email addreses with Mail. I am able to select which address you want to use to send any particular email. 2 of them are MobileMe addresses.

You can try it now. You can set up alias addresses with the single user MM which is what I have, and then send email from either one of them.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2.4Ghz, 250HDD, 4Gb RAM, o/s 10.6.4 -:- iPod Touch, 32Gb, O/S 4.0.2 (used mostly as a PDA)
You can set up alias addresses with the single user MM which is what I hav.
Ah, didn't realise that ..... I'll go and have a look now, thanks :)

Dave B.

update....... creating an alias is "unavailable on this type of account". Must be because I'm on a trial period. But at least I know aliases are possible with the single user account once fully signed up to, great .... thanks for your help :)

Dave B.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
One note about the alias accounts though, they don't download in Mail separate from your regular account. So, for example, I only have to set up my single account in Mail, I actually have used all 5 aliases, but have only used 2 so far. All of them will download into the single account, but I have access to use those addresses to send from. I might have had to add them to me own personal contact info, don't remember any more.

Maybe someone that is using the Family membership can add more info pertaining to whether Mail has the ability to keep the accounts separate in that package (aside from the aliases that each account would have).

Oh, and you can save some cash by ordering the MM membership from Amazon and not have to worry about whether it's legitimate or not. Haven't checked currently, but the Family membership is typically the same price as the single membership direct from Apple.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I currently use 3 email addreses with Mail. I am able to select which address you want to use to send any particular email. 2 of them are MobileMe addresses.

You can try it now. You can set up alias addresses with the single user MM which is what I have, and then send email from either one of them.

Thanks Bob. I had not thought of that. I have been working on getting MobileMe, Gmail and my ISPs email all to handle push nitrification properly so that I don't have to delete previously deleted mail when I boot the Mac. This might be a better solution.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One note about the alias accounts though, they don't download in Mail separate from your regular account. So, for example, I only have to set up my single account in Mail, I actually have used all 5 aliases, but have only used 2 so far. All of them will download into the single account, but I have access to use those addresses to send from. I might have had to add them to me own personal contact info, don't remember any more.
Cheers ..... it all seems to work but the downloading into separate folders I have not tried out yet. I'll play around with 'rules' etc and see what comes up. I'll post back what I find in case others are looking for this ...... have a nice weekend over the pond :)

Dave B.

C

chas_m

Very easy to separate mail sent to different "aliases" using the Rules. Glad you're enjoying it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very easy to separate mail sent to different "aliases" using the Rules. Glad you're enjoying it.

Hadn't even thought of that chas - that would do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.