MBP won't start after login (Not sure if it is a software or hardware issue)

Reaction score
I'm having some difficulties with my Mac which I haven't been able to solve by simple Googlesearches.

When I boot, everything seems to work fine it prompts the login window and everything but after I type my password and press login nothing happens.

The login window disappears as it should but then all I can see is the wallpaper, fans and the harddrive seems to slow down after I press the login button.

I can move around the mousepointer but all the icons, sidebar and the bar at the top won't appear and I waited for half an hour once.

Windows XP through Bootcamp works fine.

I have been having some problems with what I think is the battery since it shutsdown when there is about 75% or more left.
The problems appeared today after the computer shut down while riding the bus and when I arrived it wouldn't start and the complications addressed above started.

I have tried safe mode, fsck -fy, reset pram nvram and something else that I can't remember.

I don't have access to my leopard install disc at the moment so that is not an option I have to get it to work some other way.

I hope you can help, thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm from scandinavia but I hope you can understand my english.

EDIT: Could a moderator be so kind to move this to the appropriate forum. Looks like I posted in the wrong one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I would be suggesting verifying and repairing the OS X partition if necessary, but not having the install disc makes this a problem.
How much free space is on your OS X partition?

OP
O
Reaction score
I would be suggesting verifying and repairing the OS X partition if necessary, but not having the install disc makes this a problem.
How much free space is on your OS X partition?

It seems like that is pretty much the only option but I don't have access to the disc for a couple of days and would like to fix it instantly if possible.

Not sure but somewhere between 1GB-4GB if I'm not mistaken (not enough but it used to work with so little).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Not sure but somewhere between 1GB-4GB if I'm not mistaken (not enough but it used to work with so little).
I believe that is your problem!

You have been lucky to make it so far with so little space.
You should be sitting on at least 15GB free space, preferably 25GB, and ideally 40GB+ to have the smoothest possible sailing.

Your only options unfortunately are to wait until you have access to your install disc, or find someone with a Mac that you can connect via firewire in target disk mode.

OP
O
Reaction score
I believe that is your problem!

You have been lucky to make it so far with so little space.
You should be sitting on at least 15GB free space, preferably 25GB, and ideally 40GB+ to have the smoothest possible sailing.

Your only options unfortunately are to wait until you have access to your install disc, or find someone with a Mac that you can connect via firewire in target disk mode.

You think so:Angry:

I have been trying to mantain 10% free space (120GB drive) but sometimes it's not that easy.

I haven't had any problems before but it has to crash sometime.

But is it possibly to just repair the disc or something similar, don't want to loose everything on the drive.
Think I read something about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm hoping for your sake that a repair using disk utility will save the day, and if you manage to get it booted, or connected via target disk mode, that before doing anything that you retrieve your data, before the next step of freeing up space.
For the cost of a large HD now days, and a backup drive there is really no excuse for people to run into these situations.
I won't harp on about the importance of free space and especially backups, but I will point you to this thread, and leave it at that.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/196606-backups-backups-backups.html
Good luck, and I hope it all works out.

OP
O
Reaction score
I'm hoping for your sake that a repair using disk utility will save the day, and if you manage to get it booted, or connected via target disk mode, that before doing anything that you retrieve your data, before the next step of freeing up space.
For the cost of a large HD now days, and a backup drive there is really no excuse for people to run into these situations.
I won't harp on about the importance of free space and especially backups, but I will point you to this thread, and leave it at that.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/196606-backups-backups-backups.html
Good luck, and I hope it all works out.

Thanks for your help.

Too bad it just confirmed my bad expectations, guess I'll have to try with the disc later:Blushing:

OP
O
Reaction score
Just as a minor update seeing that it might help someone else.

I used my Leopard disc and first tried to repair the harddrive but it would't work so my only choice left was to repair the archive or what it's called.
I don't recommend doing this but I had tried everything else and it was the last thing I could try.

Unfortunately that wouldn't work either meaning I had to format the HDD and reinstall OS X which wasn't too fun but sometimes you don't have any other choice.

If someone else experience a problem similar to this then try everything you can do but you probably have to reinstall your operating system.

I'm not sure why everything happened but it could be a conflict between different encrypting programs, I had another theory which I don't remember but it could of course be something completely else since quite a lot of people have experienced similar problems.

Thanks for everything,
Oddmit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I had another theory which I don't remember

This made me LOL ;P

But thanks for posting back as to be able to help someone else in the future

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.