Time machine

Reaction score
I'm a newbie. Would this be the appropriate forum to ask for assistance re: Time Machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Hi, Welcome to M-F!
This is the right place, ask away!
I don't use TimeMachine but someone else may be able to help you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. I was experiencing problems with messages claiming inadequate memory, etc, so I decided to revert to a less troublesome desktop earlier in Sept. In the process, I lost some files that I had added after the date I entered. I guess I'm getting this process confused with Windows Restore, which won't lose recent files.
Anyway, a tech at the Apple store told me there should be a way to get these recent files, but he wasn't sure how to do it.
Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Have you tried spotlight? If your files were named and you remember what they were called you could first try that. Or enter a keyword contained within the file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Time Machine is different from Windows Restore in that you don't use it to make restore points on your actual hard drive itself. You need to use an external hard drive, which makes sense because if your HD is damaged, there go all your restore points along with it.

TM will make a backup of your entire system every hour unless you disconnect the external drive. If you need to you can navigate to any previous date to restore any file, folder or application you might be missing. Here's a neat tutorial that should give you an idea of how it works.

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

OP
S
Reaction score
Time Machine

Here's the problem -
On 9/30, in an attempt to get rid of some of the problems I mentioned above, I used Time Machine to take the entire Desktop to 9/8. Unfortunately, the file changes I made were AFTER 9/8, so they're gone. I'd like to know if there's a way to find the files for a date around 9/20 or 25, even though TM doesn't show anything between 9/8 and 9/30.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.