• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

TV seasons too expensive

Reaction score
I was looking at buying from itunes some of the cartoons I used to watch as a kid (a risky endeavor, because you never know it it'll be as good as you remember) and I noticed that they're pretty expensive. Usually a good 2 dollars or so more than what you might pay for a season on dvd from amazon, and that's not counting the fact that you don't get extras, commentary, subtitles or language selection.

So what should I do?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
>_>" You answered your own question, so what more do you want.

They charge more for it because it's already been "ripped" for your convenience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
hold on...this requires a lot of brain power...I think I know it...AMAZON!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I typically buy TV-on-DVD when it's in the $10 bargain bin at Walmart and make my own rips. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just depends... Have bought a few from iTunes. ex. Sons of Anarchy
Currently Season 1 in HD is the same price both places.
Season 2 is still $7 cheaper than Amazon - not to mention the fact that I bought both seasons several months prior to them even being released on DVD or B-R.

Amazon does get a significantly larger portion of my entertainment budget than iTunes however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I personally just buy from whichever place gives me the better deal. It's easy enough to make a ripped copy for your own personal use if needed.

Although I do like how we can access all the video files conveniently from the DVD's menu compared to a bunch of individual files when buying from iTunes. That's why even when I rip the DVD onto my computer I still like to keep the DVD menu function intact (basically making an exact copy of the DVD) rather than creating individual files of each video.

This way I can watch my DVDs like an actual DVD with its menu functions on my computer but without the physical DVD that kills battery life. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
and that's not counting the fact that you don't get extras.

That's the killer blow for me with itunes. I really like the extras the hard media dvds have. I watch that bonus content quite a bit. And not having it with the itunes purchased content makes it really hard for me to justify paying the same price or more for the itunes files.

If itunes can add the special content to their releases I'll think about buying there. Till them itunes for me just for music. And the visual content (music videos and movies/TV I'll get from my local stores. WHich ever is the cheapest.

Well you can buy albums and individual songs from itunes with artwork booklets. Why not have individual episodes from TV series and also whole series (with bonus content) purchasable on itunes. That'd be the smart thing to do.

OP
E
Reaction score
Oh, I kind of phrased the statement poorly. This was intended more as a comment then a question. We know itunes is capable of providing these extras with their movies, so why don't they?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.