Installing OS X from Scratch on a Macbook

Reaction score
I recently bought a Macbook, model number A1181 (1,1), online but it has no Apple care plan nor Mac OS X installed on it.

I am wondering:

1) Does Snow Leopard work on this Macbook?

2) Regardless of question 1, where would I get Mac OS X for the Macbook? I do not currently have a OS X DVD or CD. I was referred to Apple Support, but I do not have a phone, and therefore cannot use their technical support service. Can I buy it from their site or from someone else or download it?

3) Once I get a copy of the Mac OS X DVD/CD, how do I install it on my Macbook from scratch? Currently, the hardrive is formatted and has nothing on it. All I know is that it would have to be formatted in HFS+. What else do I need to do?

I would like to try out Mac OS X on my Macbook. Thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1) Yes.

2) You can purchase Mac OS X Snow Leopard for $30 from Amazon, Apple and many others.

3) Boot the system from the CD (hold down the C key after you turn it on). Open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu, format the drive and then proceed with the install.

Good luck.

OP
M
Reaction score
1) Yes.

2) You can purchase Mac OS X Snow Leopard for $30 from Amazon, Apple and many others.

3) Boot the system from the CD (hold down the C key after you turn it on). Open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu, format the drive and then proceed with the install.

Good luck.

Thank you. This is what I was looking for.

Reaction score
hi i have purchased a mackbook pro A 1278 can i load snow leopard 10.6 on it? i appear to have formatted it as there is now just a grey/white screen when i turn it on but when i try to load it on i get the msg mac os x can not be installed on this machine! any ideas
thanks
sue

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi i have purchased a mackbook pro A 1278 can i load snow leopard 10.6 on it? i appear to have formatted it as there is now just a grey/white screen when i turn it on but when i try to load it on i get the msg mac os x can not be installed on this machine! any ideas
thanks
sue

Sure you can. Do you have a retail copy of 10.6?

Reaction score
yes i have. when i turn on the macbook and hold c it tries to boot from the disk but then askd me to restore from a time capsule?which i cant do then it says mac os x cant be installed? is it poss i have not formatted completely/properly? sorry but im new to apples and really dont know that much about computers!
thanks
sue

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes i have. when i turn on the macbook and hold c it tries to boot from the disk but then askd me to restore from a time capsule?which i cant do then it says mac os x cant be installed? is it poss i have not formatted completely/properly? sorry but im new to apples and really dont know that much about computers!
thanks
sue

Let's back up a bit - can you tell us a bit about why you need to install it in the first place? Is the machine new to you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Is this "retail disc" a disc you borrowed of a friend, or a disc that you purchased?
Is it grey?

Other than the above, A1278 refers to a few models, inc the latest.
The reason I say that is if the retail version disc is older than the OS that shipped with the Mac, then it won't be usable.....
ie OS 10.6.0 won't install on a Mac that shipped with OS 10.6.3

Reaction score
yes its new to me it had all sorts of gubbins on from previous owner which i wanted to wipe and reformat as my computer
sue

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hiya i purchased it from ebay! its grey
sue

Unfortunately, you've got a system-specific recovery disc. You'll need a retail copy or the original recovery discs (the latter would be a better option, since it will have the iLife suite as well).

I would give Apple a call and see about getting a set of replacement system discs.

Reaction score
oh dear if i remember rightly the software on it was 10.6.4 is it now a lost cause?
sue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'll stay out of this and leave cwa107 and Tippy to proceed to avoid confusion unless I am beckoned :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh dear if i remember rightly the software on it was 10.6.4 is it now a lost cause?
sue

It's not a lost cause, you just need the right disc.

You have two options:

1. Purchase a retail copy of Mac OS X Snow Leopard ($30 from Apple)

2. Purchase a replacement set of system discs - but you'll need to call Apple and explain that you purchased a used machine without system discs and need replacements. They should run around $20-40 based on various accounts on this forum.

Option 2 is the better one, since it will include all of the system software, including the iLife suite, which is well worth any extra money you'll spend.

Reaction score
hiya thankyou for that ive rung apple and purchased snow leopard for my machine
many thanks
sue

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.