MacBook Pro and Wi-Fi Slow Internet Connection

Reaction score
Hi There,

I just got Macbook Pro. I am new Mac user and ran into strange problem. when I connect to internet through Wi-Fi the speed is really awful in comparison with my other windows based laptop at the same time.

How could I solve this problem? I mean, is there any specific setting I am supposed to do to overcome my slow internet speed?

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Have you tried blowing away the connection and recreating it? Do you have any friends with MacBooks just for comparison? Installed all your updates? You could have a flaky wireless card.

Reaction score
Slow Internet Connection

I have a client who we have just installed a wifi router. However we have exactly the same problem. The MAC connects through Airport but is so SLOW ....

Connecting a Windows 7 netbook and the connection flies.

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP: 2gig CD
I'm having the same issue at home. Any ideas? TIA.

Reaction score
There seem to be a large number of MAC users complaining of issues with slow, intermittent or no internet connection when using the Airport wifi facility on Mac Pro's etc etc. Isn't it about time Apple fixed this?

As am IT professional I've been searching the web now for over a week for a solution and nothing seems to shed light on this situation, not even on the Apple website itself.

There is talk of forcing DNS, resetting routers, but nothing that actually solves the issue.

Apple please get your act together and FIX THIS for all our sakes.:Angry:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@BroadbandPRT

Usually when a Mac seems slow on a connection while a PC on the same connection is OK, it's a DNS problem. I've run into this numerous times and even with my own connection at home. Switching to OpenDNS or Google Public DNS has resolved it in every case.

Unfortunately for some reason the Airport setup on a Mac is more fussy about several things: 1. DNS 2. Encryption - WEP is usually troublesome, switch to WPA or WPA2.

And.. just for your info, this is not an official Apple forum with Apple employees responding. If you have any complaints or suggestions you should direct them to Apple not here.

Reaction score
Hi, I am aware that Apple does not sponsor this site and like many other forums it is users of MACs that contribute useful information for others.
On this matter - I have set the DNS to the Google OpenDNS, also turned off the Firewall as advised by another forum, run all updates and set the security on the wifi router to WPA but the connection is still less than half the speed of my own Windows 7 laptop. Pages load extremely slowly if at all and Skype cannot be used. My MAC user is complaining its the internet but yet how can it be if a Windows machine connects perfectly? I will be logging a support call with Apple itself and will post their response if and when received.
Any other ideas in the meantime?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.