• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Exporting Long Videos from Iphone 4

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm wondering if anyone can please advise me on how to export a video I recorded on my iphone 4 to my mac. I've successfully exported shorter video files from my iphone4 to my mac using iphoto but when I try to export a longer video it comes back with the following error message

Unreadable file 1 :
The following file could not be imported. (The import failed)

The file is a .mov file and is about 30mins long

Many thanks for your help.

OP
I
Reaction score
Solution

Hi there. I'm wondering if anyone can please advise me on how to export a video I recorded on my iphone 4 to my mac. I've successfully exported shorter video files from my iphone4 to my mac using iphoto but when I try to export a longer video it comes back with the following error message

Unreadable file 1 :
The following file could not be imported. (The import failed)

The file is a .mov file and is about 30mins long

Many thanks for your help.

After searching around different forums and calling the apple support line I finally found a solution to exporting long video files from iphone 4 to your computer. There may be an easier solution but this one worked for me. The video was 2.4 gigs (30 mins). Thanks to pauls898 for the heads up. Please read below his post below:

Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone 4 camera video won't copy to ...

" Let your iphone do a full synchronise with iTunes. Once that's done close iTunes then go to the folder where the files are synched to on the PC. With XP it is something like C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\...Backup\ then a long string of characters. On Vista/7 it will be in Users somewhere. The folder will contain lots of files with meaningless names. List them by date then copy all the large ones from today somewhere else. Rename them to something ending with .mov and at least some of them should play.

This method worked for me on a 1.2Gb video I had recorded, Hope this helps. Dell Dimension 9200 Windows XP Pro iPhone 4 and large video files which won't copy "
Note his method is for PC users.

If you're on a mac navigate through these folders:
Mac Hard Disk
User
Name (mine was iquest so it will be whatever you named it)
Library
Application Support
Mobile Sync
Back Up

Video file will be inside this folder with a long file name. Just change the file name to a .MOV and you should be in business. Hope this helps ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.