Maybe a silly question but!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Hi, I've had my ipad about three weeks now and have been looking through the posts here. The thing is I,m unsure as to the meaning of, ios, I'll have a guess at internal operating system. Mine is 3.2.2 but I've noticed that some people are mentioning a 4. Something. Is there any advantage and should I have got a later os. Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I'm a little confused.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, I've had my ipad about three weeks now and have been looking through the posts here. The thing is I,m unsure as to the meaning of, ios...

"iOS" is simply a "branding" consistency thing! Apple has:

- iPods
- iMac's
- iWork
- iLife
- iTunes
- iPad's
- iPhone's
- etc. etc.

...so why not "iOS"...it's just a "brand-consistency" & "brand-building" sort of thing. It psychologically implies some sort of "i-ness", ownership of an item, or personalization of an item that many materialistic electronic gadget loving humans find appealing.;)

HTH,

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
With the advent of iPhone, Apple called the OS running on there iPhoeOS. But the thing is that the iPod Touch also runs the same OS (with some stripped down functionality) and the upcoming iPad was going to run the same OS and to avoid confusion with having the name of the OS be 'iPhoneOS' since it was going to be used on non-iPhone devices, Apple licensed the name 'iOS' from Cisco for the OS that now powers the iDevices (Steve Jobs' reference) that include, iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad and the latest Apple TV.

The iPod Touch and iPhone can already run iOS 4.1, while iPad is still running the 3.2.x version and will get the features available in the other iDevices in the 4.x release by the end of the year in the iOS 4.2 release..

Regards

OP
pirrip
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Thanks for the info. Will I be able to upgrade the same as I can on the iMac or will it involve firmware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
I wonder how much Apple has had to pay Cisco for the licensing :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Thanks for the info. Will I be able to upgrade the same as I can on the iMac or will it involve firmware.

Updates on your iPad occur through iTunes (just like with an iPod, if you have one of those). The next OS upgrade for the iPad is coming in November. Just periodically plug the iPad into your Mac (or Windows machine) and open iTunes to check for updates. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.