Downgrade from 4.0.2 to 3.1.3 not working

Reaction score
I'm trying to downgrade my 3GS firmware from 4.0.2 to 3.1.3 and iTunes 10 keeps trying to verify the package and tells me I can't perform the restore for my device. I've seen various posts about this, but nothing seems to work so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
The only way you can downgrade your iOS is if you have jailbroken your iOS Version you want to downgrade to and have had your SHSH blobs saved. If you havn't then your outta luck. Apple has stopped signing the restores on their Servers so you can only go up, not down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I'm trying to downgrade my 3GS firmware from 4.0.2 to 3.1.3 and iTunes 10 keeps trying to verify the package and tells me I can't perform the restore for my device. I've seen various posts about this, but nothing seems to work so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Just curious. Why are you trying to downgrade?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just curious. Why are you trying to downgrade?

Was thinking the same thing.

4.0.2 was murder on my 2G iPod Touch. But 4.1 was a night and day difference. I would upgrade before you go trying to revert. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I know some people are freaked out to try the latest and greatest, but it has been years since I have had to downgrade in order to get something to work or for better performance.

OP
S
Reaction score
I wanted to downgrade so that I could jailbreak it. I can't find any jailbreak services that will do 4.0.2 yet...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.