Apple Studio Display

Reaction score
So i got a question:

I have a MacBook, it is one and a haf years old, so it has mini dvi.

Resently i bought a old Apple Studio Display, 15" or 17" approx. from 2000 and it has got ADC.

So my question is will thies two work together even? I have read on older foras that you can combine a powerbook and the Apple studio display with a DVI to ADC display adapter ? does that count for a MacBook too?

And if the display adapter thing works? is there an other way becaus it is quit expencive? in my country (denmark) it cost around $150 and i dot the scrren for $30 so you can see that even if the display adapter thing works it is quiet a expencive solution....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So i got a question:

I have a MacBook, it is one and a haf years old, so it has mini dvi.

Resently i bought a old Apple Studio Display, 15" or 17" approx. from 2000 and it has got ADC.

So my question is will thies two work together even? I have read on older foras that you can combine a powerbook and the Apple studio display with a DVI to ADC display adapter ? does that count for a MacBook too?

And if the display adapter thing works? is there an other way becaus it is quit expencive? in my country (denmark) it cost around $150 and i dot the scrren for $30 so you can see that even if the display adapter thing works it is quiet a expencive solution....

Yes it is possible to get this monitor to work with your Macbook...but the cost of doing it is really not worth the trouble. First you would need this $99 adapter:
smFnNjcajS-OTBGFGZOj1hn9auFWa2IuH8heROTVJKLP_0rHfw1pML66mRiFB8xMim5X7tjcPO8yS8QkvSGdI0RvfgmjjPnXT8xB4oZFP6rVjUra1KHezZnWdJnr

Apple Display adapter 29 pin combined DVI - male 1 x 4 pin USB Type A - male - 35 pin ADC - female

Then you will need a DVI to mini-DVI adapter for another $19 dollars.

So you will have to spend $99 + $19 + shipping + taxes to get this:

- 10 year-old
- slow response time
- inferior technology
- small resolution 15"-17" Apple Display

...to work with your Macbook! As you can see...for the amount of money you need to spend...you can easily purchase a new or used (much more modern) 15"-17" LCD display. I know that I can EASILY purchase a used 15"-17" display for $30 for $40 dollars.

Keep in mind all these prices are in US dollars...I'm not sure how that translates into Denmark krone (DKK)...or what the availability & pricing structure is like for computer items in Denmark.

Good luck...hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
tank you i think i will buy an other display but it would have been fun to have the old retro one working :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
tank you i think i will buy an other display but it would have been fun to have the old retro one working :D

Yes I know...and completely agree!:) The economics just don't make it possible.

Buy an old G4 Powermac (they're pretty inexpensive). Many of the Powermac G4 video cards have an ADC port...so you could use that monitor connected to that computer. Of course...a Powermac G4 is an older computer...and not capable of doing the things most folks want to do on their computers today.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good decision another display. ADC has really reached the end of its era. Personally gound when using the ADV/DVI adapter with a tower, even a G5 Dual Core, slow boot times, problems entering single user mode and booting from Apple Hardware Test. The adapter simply got slower and slower with time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.