How do I move "Downloads" folder to desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Right click on the folder, make alias, and drag the alias to the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You can also drag the folder while holding OPTION+Command keys, and drop it to create an alias. You'll see the little Alias arrow on the icon as you hold OPTION+command.

Just be sure not to let go of the OPTION+commands keys until AFTER you've dropped the alias folder/file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Just curious, why not just put the downloads folder in your dock as an "stack" item?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You can also drag the folder while holding Control+Command keys, and drop it to create an alias. You'll see the little Alias arrow on the icon as you hold control+command.

Just be sure not to let go of the control+commands keys until AFTER you've dropped the alias folder/file.

I think you meant option+command :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I think you meant option+command :)

picky picky… you need the "exact" combination or something??? :p lol

Thanks!

I will not type control when i mean option

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thanks!

hehe I was tempted to wait for the OP to post back saying that it wasn't working :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Thanks!

That's not much penance. Cmd-C / Cmd-V ;)

Reaction score
getting downloads folder to dock

Somehow I took my downloads folder off my dock and now I have no idea where to find it. I'm going crazy having to track down each download. Where can I find the folder and how then do I move it to my dock? I can't use the finder as that just shows me all the things in my downloads folder, rather than the whole folder, so I can't just drag the whole folder...

Thanks for your time! I'm sure it's something very simple...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Somehow I took my downloads folder off my dock and now I have no idea where to find it. I'm going crazy having to track down each download. Where can I find the folder and how then do I move it to my dock? I can't use the finder as that just shows me all the things in my downloads folder, rather than the whole folder, so I can't just drag the whole folder...

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) In Finder, is your 'Sidebar' showing on the left side, and if so, is the Downloads folder in the list? If there then simply 'Right-click' on the folder which will open a dialog box w/ an option to add to the Dock (see attached pic blue arrow).

Now if you do not have the Sidebar in Finder, then goto Preferences in the menu bar and select the item and make sure that 'Downloads' is checked. Let us know if this helps - good luck! Dave

Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 5.17.00 PM.png

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome and the quick response! What do you do to make that dropdown list come up in finder?

Sorry if I'm being retarded...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Thank you for the welcome and the quick response! What do you do to make that dropdown list come up in finder?

Sorry if I'm being retarded...
Right-click or double tap depending on whether you have a mouse or a trackpad. If your mouse isn't set up for right-click under Preferences, Control+Click/tap will work...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
BTW, you can also just drag and drop the Downloads folder from Finder sidebar to your Desktop (also creating an Alias) if that's where you want it...

Reaction score
I did find the sidebar list in finder > preferences > general, but the downloads folder isn't there. It's really weird, I can't find the downloads folder anywhere, but it's there when I look for downloads in search. Unfortunately, I can't drag the folder from the search list...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How does that saying go? A picture is worth a thousand words..... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

I'm curious about what you mean there. Perhaps someone else gets it and can offer a response that will help move you up a bit on your learning curve. If you could explain it further, then perhaps I could help.

But, to go to that next step anyway, on intuition...
If you open the folder that your Downloads folder is in, then you'll see the icon for it. That's the "whole folder" which you can drag to the Dock, and a "copy" will be made there. There are several ways to get that to happen, including the steps mentioned in the posts above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.